What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about all of the shallow wrecks in Tobermory.
No current, clear Canadian water. What else do one need?

I prefer the Arabia (106ft to the sand), not easy or the Harbor Tugs (40ft max), but I had 41F on the Arabia and forget the temp at the tugs. I don’t know I’d be mentioning Toby wrecks to someone who mentioned the Caribbean in his post.

I wouldn't call most of the wrecks beginner wrecks. There is a really wicked current on the St. Lawrence, if your not used to diving in current you could get into trouble, a lot of them are deep and the vis has went down in the last few years.

I think there's enough "beginner" wrecks to satisfy a new diver for at least some time? I agree about the current, but I would just say it was different, not necessarily bad (I know our Captain took us on some of the more benign wrecks...I'm sure there's areas that have some wicked current).

As far as the viz I guess that depends on the diver also. For me it was way better than any quarry I've ever been in. In 2019 it was 30-40' in September. Honestly I still dream about it from time to time. Beautiful place.

USAT Liberty, Tulamben, Bali, Indonesia!

Walk in from the beach, dive, walk out.

Yup wear some solid dive booties for the trek into the water. Has to be one of the best wrecks to dive for anyone with any cert level in Asia starting from 5m depth down to deeper than 30m. Great place to do a nitrox dive day or night.

Yup wear some solid dive booties for the trek into the water. Has to be one of the best wrecks to dive for anyone with any cert level in Asia starting from 5m depth down to deeper than 30m. Great place to do a nitrox dive day or night.
Divers from Republic of China(Taiwan) should not have any problem with solid dive booties.
The only issue with the Liberty wreck is far too many divers of various abilities diving it at the same time!!!!!
Never ever try to help to off load the tanks! Leave that to the local.

Plan to eventually mostly do Caribbean destinations.

Aruba has several wrecks but the Antilla and Jane Sea Freighter were 2 of my favorites. I like the historical stories of both. The Antilla is 400' and can be penetrated while the Jane Sea cannot.

Puerto Morelos (20ish miles South of Cancun) has the C56 Knave, again a neat history and a swim through. Said, by some, to be an advanced dive because of depth (90'+) and current, I swam through it in my OW pre-computer days - so who knows how many mistakes I probably made. lol

St. Maarten has several wrecks also that can be swim throughs. My favorite was the Gregory II only because 5 eagle rays hung out outside the wreck while the inside had a sculptured slipper lobster that I kept thinking would drop on my head if I swam under it - it didn't - and other fish.

As mentioned already the Kittiwake in GC is a neat swim through. I dove it 4 years after it was sunk and wasn't impressed because it had not had time to really become an artificial reef, IMO. Had hoped to dive it again last year but will next time I get back. There are a few other wrecks, such as the Doc Paulson, to dive also in GC.

I did say the shallow wrecks! No need for a wetsuit it’s so warm :D:D:D

GOPR1867.JPG

So first year diver, have done the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo twice and will do it a few more times in the next month. .

If you're in Key Largo, you should definitely check out the Benwood. A real wreck, 300-ft freighter crashed while running lights-out during WWII. It's in shallow water, around 40 ft max depth, and pretty broken up. There's nowhere to penetrate the wreck, but that makes it even simpler and safer.

One of my favorite dives in KL is an hour-long night dive on the Benwood. I leave my light off as much as possible, make use of the ambient light from other divers' lights or the moon, just become one with the darkness and the critters.

Oh, and the Benwood is pretty cool during the day too.

Divers from Republic of China(Taiwan) should not have any problem with solid dive booties. The only issue with the Liberty wreck is far too many divers of various abilities diving it at the same time!!!!!
Never ever try to help to off load the tanks! Leave that to the local.

I like to have people carry my gear for me. It's part of diving there and also cheap to pay for as well.

Back
Top Bottom