What are your favorite easy wreck dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Duane was mentioned. But, I don't think anyone mentioned the Bibb. I dove both as a newly certified diver on his first trip to the ocean, in 1987. I don't recall much about either--except the excitement. A group us, mostly univ students, drove nonstop from central Missouri to dive the Keys. First time diving salt water for all of us except one. All of us were new divers. (One was new-ish.) We had an absolute blast!

ETA: I just grabbed my stack of old log books. My FL Keys trip was in early January 1988. We dove the Benwood and the Eagle, too. Single Al 80's. Everything analog. (No computers at that time except the expensive Orca; and we were all poor students.) AIR 2's, rather than octopus 2nd stages. All of us were trained to buddy-breathe, and we all dove air using Navy tables. No nitrox. No long hoses. Jacket BC's (Scubapro Stab Jackets), and weight belts with hard weights. Snorkels on masks. No reels. No DSMB's. No slung pony bottles. All of us capable of doing free ascents and very long surface swims, fully kitted, with a full cylinder and a non-functioning BC.

Not so very long ago...

rx7diver

No one has mentioned The Prince Albert in the channel at 60 feet between CoCo View Resort and Fantasy Island Resort on Roatan. Easiest dive ever.

DBBEDA04-AED5-4B9A-BBE9-BFECCAA19A7D.jpeg

If you're in Key Largo, you should definitely check out the Benwood. A real wreck, 300-ft freighter crashed while running lights-out during WWII. It's in shallow water, around 40 ft max depth, and pretty broken up. There's nowhere to penetrate the wreck, but that makes it even simpler and safer.

One of my favorite dives in KL is an hour-long night dive on the Benwood. I leave my light off as much as possible, make use of the ambient light from other divers' lights or the moon, just become one with the darkness and the critters.

Oh, and the Benwood is pretty cool during the day too.

Yeah, Love the Benwood, I've done it maybe 4 times by now. Even did the "elevator shaft" which is about 100 yards beyond the anchor and drops to almost 70 feet. Love the christmas tree worms on the Benwood and there was an octopus in January.

Thanks for the replies. Gives me some fun research to do.

I haven't done the Duane yet. A little concerned of the current and it seems a bit deeper. Since I am getting comfortable with the Spiegel I plan to do that a few more times before I do the Duane. I might do it at the end of my upcoming trip.
My average dive depth for the Duane is about 10 feet deeper than for the Spiegel Grove. Either can have brisk current.

+1 for the Russian Frigate off Cayman Brac as per @Doctorfish This is from 2018
upload_2021-3-12_9-22-56.png
upload_2021-3-12_9-23-27.png

I also did 2 dives on the Kittiwake off Grand Cayman in 2018. Personally, I prefer the Russian Frigate, far more life on it. The Kittiwake does have an interesting swim through stern to bow. A nice feature of the Kittiwake is that it is right next to a spectacular dive site, Sand Chute. I did my 2nd dive on the reef. Trip Report - Cayman Aggressor V, November 24-December 1, 2018 I also dived the Doc Polson and the Oro Verde during this trip.
upload_2021-3-12_11-54-2.png

upload_2021-3-12_11-54-29.png

upload_2021-3-12_11-54-52.png

The Kittiwake is not overgrown but there is often a large school of Horse Eyed Jacks circling and an occasional Eagle Ray in the sand. I've seen Turtles on or near the wreck as well. Not my favorite dive west side of GC but OK for a second tank.

One easy somewhat shallow dive I hav'nt seen on here yet is the Ruby E out of San Diego. Its been a while but I think about 60 feet and I have been joined on every dive there by seals.

One easy somewhat shallow dive I hav'nt seen on here yet is the Ruby E out of San Diego. Its been a while but I think about 60 feet and I have been joined on every dive there by seals.
Yes, a considerably easier dive than the Yukon. The Yukon is not bad in moderate current and reasonable viz, only at about 105 feet bottom

Back
Top Bottom