What are your personal limits as a solo diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If I want to dive and I cannot find a buddy I will dive solo. I will limit myself to 60' as a general depth rule. I dive from my own boat (except during the winter of course) and I have a non-diving buddy aboard.

Weekend before last I had a nice solo dive practicing drills (neutral buoyancy valve drills, shooting a bag, etc.) I dive doubles with isolator and on this particular dive I was also using a 80cf stage bottle for the first time. I have used 30's and 40's previously.

There is a certain peace that comes with solo diving. I prefer diving with a good buddy but as a good buddy you need to be looking out for them (and they should be doing the same for you). It's nice now and then when you do not have to be looking out for someone and just doing your own thing. With that being said I prefer to dive with a buddy every time if they are available. I am a die hard and can't get buddies as often as I like to dive.

--Matt

When I used to solo dive a lot, my rule was that I would not dive in water deeper than I was very comfortable free-diving, with the low vis cold water this was ussually about 30'. I would dive a a single hp100 and a 40cu' bottle slung. My main concern was always entanglement.

I'd limit myself to a dive site I already know and am very familiar with and in an area where there are very few or no jet skis or speed boats, that said I always carry a surface blob but a lot of boat drivers dont know what a smb is!

Depth wise, I always want to be happy that I could perform a cesa if need be relatively safely.

MASS-Diver:
When I used to solo dive a lot, my rule was that I would not dive in water deeper than I was very comfortable free-diving, with the low vis cold water this was ussually about 30'. I would dive a a single hp100 and a 40cu' bottle slung. My main concern was always entanglement.

Entanglement is my greatest concern too. In fact during my last solo dive I came across monofilament line extending between two large rocks 4' from the bottom. Perfect location for a diver to get the valves caught. I grabbed my snips and cut it before proceeding.

--Matt

I don't set limits for myself. If I feel comfortable with the conditions and depth, I'll likely enjoy the dive. I don't use different gear or dive any differently when with or without a buddy.

Conditions and locations I am familiar and comfortable with, depth no deeper than 150 ft and run times no more than about 45 minutes with doubles, accellerated deco, and rule of thirds air planning. With proper configuration, redundancy and training, I don't personally see the need for a depth restriction as long as you remain well within your ability and comfort zone.

I actually prefer deep diving solo to deep diving with a buddy as it eliminates 1/2 the risk of failure, all the potential communication issues,and reduces the task loading required to keep track of a buddy.

I don't own a boat or shore dive (except at the quarry), so when I do dive solo its from a dive operator's boat with others diving the same wreck. If there is someone on the boat that is diving a similar configuration to mine (big tank, dry suit) I will dive with a buddy. Like Matt I am the diehard of the people that I know that dive, so its very difficult for me to find a buddy.

That said I have been solo to ~120 ft. I use HP 120 cuft tanks and have 30 cuft pony. I vary the amount of air I leave the bottom with depending on depth and conditions. If I was @ 100 I would leave the bottom with 1200 psi (~40 cuft) assuming I had no deco obligation. If I hit deco I head up right away.

I have been diving for over 7 years and I prefer to solo dive. It is for me a freedom that I do not have when diving with a buddy. I also dive to what I feel comfortable with.

Given the proper equipment (pony, doubles, doubles and stage, depending on dive) for the dive, I wouldn't restrict depth to anything I wouldn't do with a buddy. If you can provide a safe means of replacing what you get from a buddy, then you're good to go.

I started diving in 69-74 in N.E. and was solo then. Started diving again in 84 and took up wrecks and lobsters in N.E., FL 99- present. I would say 90% of my dives are solo and are treated that way with redundant equipment.
I really have no limits, except a depth of 180'.(till I get mix cert.) I will do wrecks and deco dives solo.
It's experience that makes me comfortable with what I do. You can die in 15' of water looking for sharks teeth if you don't have the experience and the right gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom