What backplate and wing are you using for singles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOG SS & AL plates, Hog 32lb wings, basic harnesses.

deep sea supply long backplate in SS with a LCD30 wing. Absolutely love it. @cool_hardware52 also has brilliant customer support and near endless patience to help new divers find out exactly what they need
I am 6'1" and almost in between sizes. Do I go with the medium or large?

DSS Long SS and Torus 26 wing. I also have the Torus 17 and 35 and the weight plates to adapt to different cylinders and exposure wear.

Call Tobin and get his advice. I'm 6'1" and have a large, and am happy with it.

Is your height in your legs or in your torso? I have a long torso. At 6'3" I only have a 32" inseam.

I went with the large plate though. (recommended for 6'0-6'3") It still worked fine even though I have a long torso and is slightly shorter for fitting my suitcase.

Is your height in your legs or in your torso? I have a long torso. At 6'3" I only have a 32" inseam.

I went with the large plate though. (recommended for 6'0-6'3") It still worked fine even though I have a long torso and is slightly shorter for fitting my suitcase.

@Flycaster I'm the same as Ray at just over 6'3" but it's all in my torso. I have a long pattern plate and couldn't be happier. I would call @cool_hardware52 and talk with him to figure out which one to go with.

6'-7" Long plate works for singles, but I prefer the x-long for my doubles.

6'-7" Long plate works for singles, but I prefer the x-long for my doubles.

Your comments confirm what I've long seen with many divers, plate sizing can be a bit more flexible for divers using single tanks than divers using doubles.

IME the single most important landmark for plate fit is the diver's waist. The waist is just below the ribcage, it's *not* the top of your jeans.

If a plate is a bit short, one can lengthen the shoulder straps, tighten the crotch strap and pull the plate down to where the waist strap is at the waist. This drops the entire plate, but when diving singles it's easy to slide the tank *UP* in the cambands to retore the proper relationship between the cylinder / valve / diver.

With doubles it gets a bit trickier. Doubles don't mount via cambands. Doubles bolt on. Of course it is possible to shift the metal tank bands on a set of doubles, but it's more work, and if you are renting or borrowing sets of doubles this practice can be frowned on.

One of the questions I ask when making a recommendation is the intent of the diver, singles only, or singles and doubles? More latitude for those only diving singles....

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom