What bicycle tire tubing to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I read about an advice to get a bicycle tire, cut it into sleeves and feed nylon webbing where it connects to the backplate. This should protect a harness some.

I went to my local walmart, they had a bicycle section. I looked over the spare tire tubing they had, I could not determine what size I need to buy for a 2" diameter when flat...

Any advice?

I use the ones from my "mountain" bike (about 40 to 50 mm) though the ones from my cyclecross bike (32mm plus or minus) seem to do well also. The ones from my road bike (23mm) are way too small. I try to avoid Walmart and the BSOs they sell. N

This could be explained by a simple math problem. 2 inches times pi equals the circumference which is approximately 6 inches. A 2 inch diameter object would have a flattened half the circumference. 6÷2 = 3 so 3 inches when folded or flat inner tube.

Make sure you're measuring your object correct. If it's truly 82 inch in diameter cylindrical object then this would work.

I don't know what you are talking about, when flattened 2" would mean a 4" circumference (or ~101mm) where a diameter would be minimum of ~32.1mm when round.

Texasguy, I just go to the nearest bike shop and ask them if they have any discarded mountain bike inner tubes. They give them to me.

Hmm, good idea. I have a bike shop nearby.

Often the tubes are put in place to hold backup lights on each harness side. Put extras on as they will break.

I don't know what you are talking about, when flattened 2" would mean a 4" circumference (or ~101mm) where a diameter would be minimum of ~32.1mm when round.

Alright Texas guy. 2 inches in diameter of a cylinder does not flatten out to be 4 inches. I think you must have skipped your geometry class...

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2013 at 09:13 AM ----------

Your original post was the problem. "2inch in diameter when flat". What I suppose you meant to say is an object that has a 2inch width when flat would have a 4inch circumference. 4/3.14 would give you your answer because 4/pi equals your diameter. This equals 1.27" so converted to mm you would have about a 32mm tube.

But does anyone know the ratio of free state diameter to installed/pressurized/stated size? You want tit o stay put on the webbing but not so tight it folds it in half.

Is there an iPhone Ap for this?

This is life support we can't just go by trail and error.

Does the tube need to be O2 cleaned? What if mixed gasses had been in that discarded tube?

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom