what can I expect to see in Roatan and Utila?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan is spot on about small stuff and good buoyancy skills. I dove West End area for the first time in March and saw things that kept me plenty happy (hey, the water was warm--I was happy) but then I went back for 2 more weeks this summer and really saw things. Yeah, my buoyancy was better (practice, practice) but the real difference for me was dive ops. What a shock to see all that is there on the reef when you are shown where and how to look! I dove with Sea Grape Plantation Dive Shop, which is run by a great guy (Louis) who is a local and a former Anthony's Key DM. His knowledge of the waters and critters therein is exceeded only by his infectious enthusiasm to show you what he treasures. (How he keeps a reg in his mouth with the grin he always has is a mystery of the deep.) Seriously different diving compared to racing along with other dive ops just to cover a "route". You have time to stop and really SEE amazing things with Louis. They have great prices, new rental gear if needed, new boats etc. When I'm back there in March it will be with Sea Grape. And I'll bring some magnifying glasses. www.segraperoatan.com (And no, I have no affiliation with Sea Grape, just great memories!)

We dove off Anthony's Key in Roatan in August, which you dive the north west side, mostly. We saw lots of large grouper (3-4 feet), almost on every dive. There were also green moray, lobster, turtles, baraccuda, bar jacks, cero, tarpon and the BIGGEST crabs I have ever seen on one dive site called Bear's Den. I am still waiting to see a whale shark! From my understanding, the whale sharks occasionally wander into the waters near Roatan, but are more likely to be spotted near Utila. Time of year is key too.

Even though it was on Bonaire (not in the Bay Islands) the principle still applies and that is -

It was a great diving day when my youngest child commented - you know, the slower you dive the better the diving is !!!!

Back
Top Bottom