What can you tell me about diving in Tofo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uomorana

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be heading to Tofo in early April this year. Can someone provide some general and useful tips on the dive site, what to expect, what to do while on the surface? Cheers!

Lots of the dives are deeper than 25m so you need to be at an advanced level. Also be able to do a negative entry. Ask to go to Giants Castle, Amazon, Office and of course Manta Reef.

On the surface drink Mozambique beer, try to visit Inhambane, drink more beer, have some pizza at Dinos (with some beer).

A good reference book is Globetrotter Mozambique by Mike Slater - ISBN 1-84537-542-4. Try to get the version with the pull out map in the back.

I will be there from April 20 - Morrungulo first then Tofo.

AndyT:
Lots of the dives are deeper than 25m so you need to be at an advanced level. Also be able to do a negative entry. Ask to go to Giants Castle, Amazon, Office and of course Manta Reef.

On the surface drink Mozambique beer, try to visit Inhambane, drink more beer, have some pizza at Dinos (with some beer).

A good reference book is Globetrotter Mozambique by Mike Slater - ISBN 1-84537-542-4. Try to get the version with the pull out map in the back.

I will be there from April 20 - Morrungulo first then Tofo.

----------------------------------------
Thanks a lot for the input. I will certainly check out the dive sites, Dino's pizza and the local brew! Pity that will "just" miss one another by about 10 days! Any idea if the recent cyclone has affected the area and route from SAA border. From Hong Kong I get the idea that it hit the north of the country and that Inhambane / Tofo area escaped unscated.

Got an e-mail from Morrungulo (100Km north of Tofo) yesterday - here's their news on the storm.

"Dear Andrew,

An update :

Morrungulo was hardly affected by the cyclone. It passed here early Thursday morning. Strong winds and an angry sea, but luckily no real damage, 2 coconut trees down and a lot of snapped branches but no damage to any of the buildings or power lines. The lodge is still fully operational and there is no need for any clients to cancel their reservations.

Roads are intact as we had very little rain, so our lodge is still easily accessible. In fact we have not been affected by the floods either (this only appears to have affected the Sofala province) and our area is currently experiencing drought conditions!"

Try to get to Inhambane - if history is your thing it is a great place, has some good restuarants - read up a little if you can before you go so you know what to look for.

Forgot to ask - which resort are you staying at?

AndyT:
Got an e-mail from Morrungulo (100Km north of Tofo) yesterday - here's their news on the storm.

"Dear Andrew,

An update :

Morrungulo was hardly affected by the cyclone. It passed here early Thursday morning. Strong winds and an angry sea, but luckily no real damage, 2 coconut trees down and a lot of snapped branches but no damage to any of the buildings or power lines. The lodge is still fully operational and there is no need for any clients to cancel their reservations.

Roads are intact as we had very little rain, so our lodge is still easily accessible. In fact we have not been affected by the floods either (this only appears to have affected the Sofala province) and our area is currently experiencing drought conditions!"

Try to get to Inhambane - if history is your thing it is a great place, has some good restuarants - read up a little if you can before you go so you know what to look for.

Forgot to ask - which resort are you staying at?

Cheers Andrew! Very grateful for your input. Let's look forward to some great diving then!

Pity we will miss on another, hope you have some great dives !!!!

AndyT:
Pity we will miss on another, hope you have some great dives !!!!

Indeed! By the way, keep in touch and if you are coming by this part of the world do let me know. I just came back from 1-week diving in the Similans off the coast of Thailand. Had some good encounters with some juvenile whale shark and plenty of mantas.

I plan to come over to your side of the pond next year sometime, dunno when though.

You can be sure I will be around to ask questions !!

AndyT:
I plan to come over to your side of the pond next year sometime, dunno when though.

You can be sure I will be around to ask questions !!

Perfect!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom