What can you tell me about Great Lakes diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I take offense at the idea that there is nothing but wrecks in the Great Lakes. What about all the fish? Okay, so they're not as prettily coloured as their Caribbean cousins, but I have been diving many times up in Tobermory and seen huge schools of salmon and whitefish. Then there are perch, various bass, burbot...

Now, it's true that zebra mussels have been the scourge of all but the coldest GLs for the past several years. (That's what happens when people don't follow rules about ballast! :fury: ) While both sides of the Lakes are trying to figure out how to get rid of them without hurting the rest of the ecosystem, there is a positive side: the viz is better than it has been in years!

BTW, a good source of info on diving the GL's are the "Dive Ontario" books by Kris Kohl.

Oh, and drysuit divers RULE!!!! :thumb:

~SubMariner~

The vis has been unreal the past few years. It's not uncommon to have 100' + at the Straits. There's been a few times where you could see the entire wreck and debris field of the Eber Ward (213' long) from the ascent line. A friend of mine has video of divers on the stern of the Sandusky (110' long) -- he was taping on the bow sprit. We've seen that several times at the Sandusky. Just unreal vis. Of course, certain wrecks are better than others for visibilty.

I dare say the vis in the Straits is often better than Superior -- especially in the Spring. The Straits is just an awesome preserve.

Mike

Hey JBD.. I cannot wait until I get certified in March 2002 because I want to Do some great Lakes Diving too.. Reading a book called "Dive Ontario" by Chris last name I forget. It's an old outdated book as he has not published a new one.. the old one dates back to 1990.. What I've read in the book is that most of the shipwreaks and other places in the great lakes have lots of Zebra Mussles and is very cold even though it's super hot outside.. Keep in Touch!!

N1Hawk

Originally posted by jbd
A friend wants to do some diving in the Great Lakes. Those who have been there done--what can you tell me about it? Conditions, environment, equipment etc.

Originally posted by N1Hawk
.. Reading a book called "Dive Ontario" by Chris last name I forget. It's an old outdated book as he has not published a new one.. the old one dates back to 1990..
N1Hawk

The author's name is Cris Kohl and he has a new book out just recently called "The Great Lakes Diving Guide" If you are interested the number is ISBN 0-9679976-2-3 or you can check out the websitte at http://www.seawolfcommunications.com/

Good book too!

Forget Coz and the other Carribean sites!

After reading this thread, I think I need to work up a roadtrip to visit you folks! (After I purchase the dry suit of course!).

I do plan on taking TDI's Adv.Nitrox/Stage Deco course next spring, so it would work perfectly with diving some of the sites you folks mentioned (especially the Marsh that Scubanarc mentioned). And I bet I could get Corsair to come along with me, espeically to dive on a tall ship.

--TM

Just to add to some of the good info from the Northern divers, Lake Michigan also has a lot of good diving to offer.

It's no doubt chilly in the spring / early summer, but in August, September and October, bottom temps in the mid-50s are not uncommon. Viz in the 50' - 70' range is also possible. No doubt, a dry suit has its merits, but not having one certainly doesn't rule out Great Lakes diving. (I can hear 'em now: "Yeah... and it doesn't rule out hypothermia either.")

Originally posted by CheeseWhiz
Just to add to some of the good info from the Northern divers, Lake Michigan also has a lot of good diving to offer.

It's no doubt chilly in the spring / early summer, but in August, September and October, bottom temps in the mid-50s are not uncommon. Viz in the 50' - 70' range is also possible. No doubt, a dry suit has its merits, but not having one certainly doesn't rule out Great Lakes diving. (I can hear 'em now: "Yeah... and it doesn't rule out hypothermia either.")

The new Kohl book has ton of sites in Lake Michigan. Even an ex-WWI U-boat off of Chicago.

In fact, he has data for over 210 sites in and around Lake Michigan.

But as the esteemed C-Whiz points out - bring all of your kit. You'll need lights, knives, cave reels (if you are penetration inclined) all of that wonderful stuff that you bought and never used. Except you will not need your 3mm shorty or your Candy A$$ Diver membership card.. :D

I'm not too familiar with the southern Lake Michigan wrecks, but the northern waters have some awesome shipwrecks -- some of the best IMO, and their in recreational depths too.

A dry suit certainly isn't required, but I sure wouldn't get wet. :) Most recreational divers up here are still wet suit divers -- even in Superior.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom