What chemicals for disinfecting regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Ok, I have to ask, why are you wanting to sanitize regulators? "
Last time I used rental gear, I got a really nasty sore throat 36 hours after, and it took a week to shake off. Got me motivated enough to ask the folks at Lysol if I could use that to disinfect a regulator and they just said "Oh, no, not for anything you breath through!" probably out of CYA rather than any logic, since in theory the stuff does evaporate, and can be rinsed off with water to make sure.

DAN's Alert Diver also mentioned hazards (like passing around eye infections, pinkeye) from dunking your gear in the swamp bucket of "rinse your masks here" that are o many dive boats. Their advice? Just don't. Why take the chance?

Some folks are forgetting this is a Public Safety Diver thread. The OP was asking about sanitizing his dive team's regs. PSD's dive in contaminated water.

Thought I'd add that my team was given Sanizide Plus for decon. While a gallon of it is cheap compared to some other products, it is to be used at full strength, so it isn't quite as cost effective as it seems.

This is an excerpt from Kirby Morgan:

Listed below are four solutions, used by the U.S. Militaries, which have proven to be effective when used in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations. If no other solutions are available, a solution of mild dish detergent and water and hand scrubbing with a soft brush or rag can be done.

1. SaniZide Plus:
P/N: 34805 (spray) or 34810 (gallon), Ready to use; do not dilute.
SAFETEC of America, Inc
1055 E. Delavan Ave.
Buffalo, NY 14215 USA
1-800-456-7077

2. Advance TB e:
P/N: AD160 (spray) or AD1128 (gallon), Infection Control Technology available):
Ready to use.
Infection Control Technology
1751 So. Redwood Rd.
Woodscross, UT 84087 USA
1-800-551-0735

3. Bi-Arrest 2:
P/N: BP201 (4 ounces) or BP 222 (32 ounces), Infection Control Technology. Mix two pumps of the concentrate with 16 ounces of fresh water.
Infection Control Technology
1751 So. Redwood Rd.
Woodscross, UT 84087 USA
1-800-551-0735

4. Confidence Plus:
P/N: 10009971 (32 ounces) Mix one ounce of concentrate with one gallon of fresh water.
Mine Safety Appliances
1-800-MSA-2222

Sanitizing Procedure:

Unless otherwise directed, use the following procedure to disinfect the Oral Nasal Mask and Demand Regulator: For disassembly and reassembly procedures, refer to the appropriate KMDSI Operations and Maintenance Manual.

1) Wet or immerse all components to be sanitized. Allow to stay in contact with the solution for at least 10 minutes while lightly scrubbing over the components with a nylon toothbrush or clean dishrag to help remove mucus or saliva build up.

2) If the solution appears to be drying, apply more solution to keep it wet for the full 10 minutes.

3) After 10 minutes, thoroughly rinse components under running potable water while brushing or rubbing.

4) If the equipment is not being used immediately, allow the components to air dry or pat dry with a clean towel and reassemble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom