What classes should I take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bertschb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was certified (PADI OW) in 1978 but did almost all of my diving by the mid 80's. I probably did 50 dives, mostly off the Jetty at Newport, OR. Other than a couple of dives down to 70' or so in Hawaii and a local lake, the dives were all shallow (less than 40'). I've never done a boat dive. Fast forward twenty years. I want to get back into diving. What classes should I take?

Thanks!

I kinda did what you are doing....Cert in '83, dives 125 or so dives, then off for more than ten years. I didn't do a course, but had the benefit of tagging along as my 14 yr old did his OW.

I'd say that you would be wise to start with a refresher course...Check out a local dive shop. They probably have a refrehser course for $100 or so, including pool time and an open water dive or two.

Then, do some dives, maybe up to ten or so in reasonably calm water and nothing very deep (under 60 feet perhaps), and think of doing an advanced class...the advanced class will give you more instructor time and will give you some diversity in your dives, all under the watchful eyes of an experienced person.

One of the dives you have a choice of in the advanced class would be a boat dive. Its fun!

Good luck!

Some dive shops will allow a certified diver to monitor one of their full OW classes, that would be a good option if your LDS will allow it. Otherwise, it is a good idea to take a refresher course to get back in the swing of things. If you own your own equipment, it would be a good idea to have it checked out by a tech before hopping in the water.

would be take an OW class since it has been so long since you dove. There are newer techniques and information since you last dove and I doubt if you would get that from a refresher course due primarily to time constraints.

Welcome back to diving and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You should definitely take an OW course.
Gear, tables and procedures have all significantly changed from the 80's.
:snorkel:ScubaRon
PADI DiveMaster

I first certified in 1968, did some diving in the Navy ... and didn't do much 'til my new spouse and I really decided it was worth taking up seriously in the early 90's .... so I just got recertified. Talk about going from an abacus to a computer??!!

There is some charm to your considering recertifying. Lots has changed and it would be $$$ well spent if you really are serious about this. Certification is all about safety - and we don't have 9 lives - only 1!

Let's get wet!!! :tree: :tree: :tree:
Eric.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom