What counts as motor deficits with DCS 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwatermatt

Registered
Reaction score
America. Or maybe Utila. Who knows anymore
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had the unfortunate experience of getting a mild hit of DCS 2 the other day. While my symptoms were mild and resolved after 1 chamber session, I am being extra cautious with my return to dive plan. One of the key differences I’ve read in literature describing various return to dive plans is the presence of motor deficits in initial presentations. For those who have experienced DCS, what did they define as motor deficits to you? My hands were cramped and I was unable to open them, but seeing how broad a spectrum DCS 2 is I’m not sure if that counts.

I am planning on getting a hold of DAN today as well, but haven’t been able to yet due to the weekend/ Labor Day holiday.

Thanks in advance!

I had the unfortunate experience of getting a mild hit of DCS 2 the other day. While my symptoms were mild and resolved after 1 chamber session, I am being extra cautious with my return to dive plan. One of the key differences I’ve read in literature describing various return to dive plans is the presence of motor deficits in initial presentations. For those who have experienced DCS, what did they define as motor deficits to you? My hands were cramped and I was unable to open them, but seeing how broad a spectrum DCS 2 is I’m not sure if that counts.

I am planning on getting a hold of DAN today as well, but haven’t been able to yet due to the weekend/ Labor Day holiday.

Thanks in advance!
Motor deficits would be anything from gait disturbances to difficulty performing fine motor tasks. I'm curious about your presentation though. Was that your only symptom - cramped hands/inability to extend fingers?

Best regards,
DDM

Motor deficits would be anything from gait disturbances to difficulty performing fine motor tasks. I'm curious about your presentation though. Was that your only symptom - cramped hands/inability to extend fingers?

Best regards,
DDM
The cramped hands was paired with tingling in the fingers and toes that was starting to move up the legs as well, and a feeling of general malice. I honestly barley remember walking since I didn’t do it too much, but I think I was a little unsteady.

Honestly weirder than the presentation was the circumstances, I did two relatively shallow (avg 20 ft) dives in the morning, and then in the afternoon I was helping teach a rescue class and was “yo-yoing” from the surface to 10 feet a bunch. It wasn’t until after that I started feeling symptoms.

The doctor at the chamber told me I could be back in the water 4 days later, but I’m waiting until day 6 to do some shallow confined dives, and day 7 to do open water dives (shallow as I will be with an OW class).

The cramped hands was paired with tingling in the fingers and toes that was starting to move up the legs as well, and a feeling of general malice. I honestly barley remember walking since I didn’t do it too much, but I think I was a little unsteady.

Honestly weirder than the presentation was the circumstances, I did two relatively shallow (avg 20 ft) dives in the morning, and then in the afternoon I was helping teach a rescue class and was “yo-yoing” from the surface to 10 feet a bunch. It wasn’t until after that I started feeling symptoms.

The doctor at the chamber told me I could be back in the water 4 days later, but I’m waiting until day 6 to do some shallow confined dives, and day 7 to do open water dives (shallow as I will be with an OW class).
Where did this happen, how were you diagnosed with DCS, and what other diagnoses were considered? Were you hyperventilating by chance? Going by the information you've provided, this sounds more like tetany to me.

That said, I have heard of one other group of divers in a particular specialty who were presenting with DCS symptoms after very shallow yo-yo profiles, but they were deeper than 10 feet. I've never heard of someone being cleared to dive four days after being treated for neurological DCS symptoms.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom