What detector will suit my needs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazy Fingers

Contributor
Reaction score
I just decided to get more into treasure diving today after I found a wedding band. I am looking to buy a detector that is definitely not top of the line, but works reasonably well. Budget is below $250. Refurbs and used units are okay by me.

I am also looking for something that is very small and discrete. I don't know if metal detecting is prohibited in these areas or not. I haven't seen any signs that say it's against the rules, but I'd rather not draw attention to myself and the fact that it would be going on.

I saw the DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe. If I got an 8" coil on this, do you think it would make a reasonable primary system? Anything else that's similar to this that could be found on the used market?

Thanks

I would suggest checking out E-Bay. I have been doing the same. Search under metal detector underwater. Sometimes even versions of that can work. I have picked up a fair number of things off different people and have always be satisfied with what I got.

Small and Discrete? I'd recommend finding out beforehand whether the area you are in allows detecting. Some of the departments that enforce these rules have penalties like you wouldn't believe--$10,000, forfeiture of the boat/car, jail time. Know before you go, they're not joking around. I have a fisher pulse for U/W detecting and the fisher gold bug for nugget detecting. They both work will, I've found bird shot, little tiny pieces of bullet with the gold bug and lots of bottle caps and small pieces of aluminum foil from cigarette packs. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom