What did I do to my ear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,
This weekend I performed my open water certification dives here in VA (was freezing cold and visibility was around 2-3 feet... good times all around!). Unfortunately, I've been having ear problems since the last dive of the 1st day. After the first day, my ear hurt like hell for about an hour or 2 directly after the second dive, then that went away, and it just felt like I had a blockage of fluid in my ear... I also have bloody drainage. Well, since I was desperate since I wanted to complete day 2 of the certification, I went to an urgent care place, and they told me pretty much nothing - that my eardrum looked red and there was probably fluid behind it but who knows, and to not dive. He threw a prescription for antibiotics at me, 'just in case.'
Well, I dove today anyway, maybe stupid, but I'm getting married in 3 weeks in the Bahamas and we planned to dive there and I would not have an opportunity to finish the second day. I tried to be careful with equalizing, and never had any problems with it that I can remember. Also, I had no pain and the blockage feeling had decreased substantially. Anyway, after the diving today, I had the same symptoms (a little less pain though...), now am still feeling fluid in my ears, have some bloody drainage, a little bit of pain but that is going away. I told my instructor, he guess perforated eardrum or something along those lines, but told me to see a Dr. (ENT) if it doesn't get better in a day or so. I plan to do do this, but wanted to see what you guys thought of the situation - does it sound like a perforated eardrum, or just an extreme squeeze, etc? :idk: Thanks for any help.

I'm not offended! Ha, I agree and definitely plan to put it off as long as possible. I just wish I knew how long recovery would be, guess I'll figure that out when I'm able to go to the dr.

Most divers sooner or later experience some ear concerns. I have inadvertently stretched my eardrum many times. I have had liquid in my inner ear (or whatever they call the space behind the eardrum). It took 3 months before it completely healed. I could not hear properly for the 3 months. Sounded like my ear had water in it from swimming.

ps: I am not a doctor but if you eardrum is ruptured, even a little bit, I have heard it may heal, but I am guessing you can do significant damage by diving with it that way. Proceed with caution if you appreciate your hearing.

Stop diving! For future reference, don't continue to dive with a "squishy" ear (fluid in the middle ear due to barotrauma). If you dive with those symptoms, it will only get worse.

A perforated eardrum is certainly a possibility...given bloody discharge from the ear and the mechanism of injury. Any physician should be able to do a quick ear exam and visualize the tympanic membrane to appreciate what you're dealing with.

The initial diagnosis is barotitis media. Some OTC decongestants would be helpful. A physician would be able to prescribe more powerful meds if indicated.

Without the bloody discharge from the ear, I would recommend that you stop diving until the middle ear fluid clears and dose with OTC decongestants. Barotitis media is very common in novice divers. It occurs due to poor ear equalization technique. Divers should equalize early and often. If any pain or pressure is felt in the ears during descent, the diver should ascend a little and keep trying to equalize. Initial descent should be conducted under control...which means that the diver can stop at any given depth while he works on equalizing his ears. A surefire way to get hurt is to overweight yourself, become a dirt dart, and descend through the ear pain. Click on the weblink in the my sig to watch Dr. Kay's video on "Ear Fear." You should also try all of the techniques for ear equalization that Kay describes and see what works best for you. You'll be surprised how many different techniques there are. Instructors will often only teach one.

With the bloody discharge from the ear (and any other troubling symptoms -- fever, etc.), I would definitely set up an appointment with a physician.

I'll join the chorus... don't dive until you see a doctor and follow their advice! If you aren't comfortable with their advice... second opinion is not a bad idea but don't just keep going till you hear what you want to hear!

Perforated eardrums do heal.... and allow for diving (in my case 4 weeks of my vacation I couldn't dive) The good news is I have done over 400 dives since then because I listened to the doctor.

I had crackling, significant pain but no bloody discharge. I didn't dive after the symptoms began. I had 3 small perforations in my eardrum... had I continued to dive I would have ruptured the eardrum and probably been partially deaf and unfit to dive... EVER! Not worth it even if it means no diving on the honeymoon!

I was advised not to get my ear wet and not to attempt to equalize or use any drops in my ear until the doc said it was safe.

This is just not something you should take chances with. Please let us know how the appointment goes and how things work out for you because we are concerned for you AND it gives other divers a chance to learn from your situation.

Thanks and good luck

....don't let a honeymoon deadline cause you to do something stupid! First rule of holes: "when you're in one, stop digging!" Is pushing the envelope here REALLY such a good idea ? Assuming you're a member of DAN (Divers Alert Network) I'd give them a call and listen to closely to their recommendations!

It sounds like you need to stop diving until it heals. Sorry, just my opinion

Lee Taylor: Sounds like your opinion is a good one. Much like, "green side up." I agree 100%. (I'm NOT a doctor but I stayed in an Embassy Suites last week.) Great1: By all means, see an ENT guy (unless you feel your instructor is the last word in medical diagnosis). But if you're not going to listen to him, save your money. Hope you don't ruin your honeymoon with a bum ear. Try REAL hard and maybe you'll come up with an idea to salvage it. (Honeymoon, not ear.)

Yes, I'm hoping on not having this problem by the time our wedding rolls around, but if I do, I don't think I'll dive with it. Just was looking for advice on what people thought this injury might be/recovery time. Will probably schedule the ENT appt. tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies!

Great8.I'm not a doctor, but I have had divers with significant ear problems. The worst was when a diver continued diving although she felt sporadic pain and a sensation of fullness in one ear (though I counseled her to listen to her body). She got through an entire liveaboard trip and was planning to fly out a couple of nights later, but on the first night on land she had what you describe having twice--discharge.

We have excellent hospitals here, and so I sent her to one of those where the ENT performed an endoscopic examination of her ear. She had a acute otitis media with effusion, subsequent perforation, and hearing loss. She was grounded not only from diving, but also from flying for 6 weeks. Of course, she eventually healed completely, but it sure screwed with her travel plans!

If I were you, I'd seek out an ENT who can do an endoscope to take a look at what kind of damage you've done to yourself and to determine when you can expect to be able to clear your ears again. You may not be able to dive on your honeymoon, but I certainly hope you can manage an airplane!

Back
Top Bottom