What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is an oldie....

I guess I look at it as learning, sometimes outgrowing (technically or physically), or just a change of the times where someting better comes out (lights, for example). My choices met my needs/budget of the time. Things change. Needs change.

25 years ago, a jacket BC was quite an improvement on a horse-collar (some may disagree). Now its BP/W.....

Some things you can get now, weren't available then.....

My regrets are more based on ill fitting items (not specifically the product), of buying something cheaply made that didn't last as a substitute (most times due to finances) to what I ended up with after I failed the first time....

There are a few things I am glad I never fell for (quackers, spare air, split fins, etc.) that were marketed well beyond their "need" or importance.......

YMMV

Atomic Smoke on the Waters: great fins, but horribly expensive and I switched to jets within 20 dives anyway. If I cared enough to use different fins for different dives, I'd still use the splits for easy single tank crusing--they're noticably more efficient than jets. But I don't and $260 fins just laying around irks me.

Intova Mini light: needed a light, didn't have one, seemed like the best option available on the island at the time. A decent light that uses batteries I don't like; should have gone without and bought half a LM 3W LED instead. $80 that just sits around.

Brass double-enders: :censored:ing OUCH!

Zeagle 20cf Pony System: fine product for what it was, but expensive and not scalable. Wish I'd just bought an AL40 or 80, rigging, and a used M1 stage reg right off the bat. Thankfully it found a new home for only about $100 less than I paid for it...though I never did hear back after some initial problems were reported by the buyer. I hope they finally found and installed the dip tube/filter retainer rather than throwing it out with the packing (knew I should have taped it to the hose or something).

DSS LP hats: junk plastic that split wide open upon being introduced to Halcyon LP inflator hose ends; maybe I'll boil them first next time. Thankfully they were cheap.

Akona Mesh Bag: zipper separated from the mesh within 3-4 days of light use. WTF?!

Zeagle deluxe zip-on SMB/SS spool thingy: again, fine product but expensive and just sits around now because I moved on from the Stiletto LTD and use a more traditional SMB and reel setup now.

Apeks DS4 stage regs: bought these out of a concern about flooding AA stage regs due to seat saver designs, only to realize I don't like diaphram regs and that I'm pretty good about keeping my stages charged. Now I have three of these sitting around taking up space that all the M1s need.

Pinnacle Tempo: I thought it would be as good as my M-E suit, and I was wrong. Then I was too lazy/busy to return it. Now it's a $350 closet-clogger that's never been wet. Ugh.

I feel a FOR SALE thread coming on :wink:

1.) A stainless steel dive knife - they rust.

2.) A cheap 'titanium coated' dive knife - it rusted. Either get a 'real' titanium dive knife, or one of the Spyderco H-1 steel knives, like the Salt 1 I've got now (plus I picked up a Trilobyte; very nice little device. I think its blade will rust over time, but they're replaceable, this thing was cheaper than many knives and it's SO COMPACT).

3.) A jacket BCD with 1 tank strap instead of 2 - especially since I dive a big 130 cf tank at home, but often 80's abroad; a 2 tank strap BCD works so much nicer for me. I like my 2X Sherwood Avid.

4.) Masks that do not fit.

5.) 'Booties' instead of a pair of SeaSoft Sunrays, which are way better for shore diving Bonaire. Much better for protecting the feet, and can double as shoes for using around town when on the island.

I've picked up other odds & ends that I don't use, or haven't ever, but those are the main things.

Richard.

Our house... no, wait ....

A retracting gauge console attachment clip. That was a dumb purchase.

-Scubaapro X650 reg. Total garbage. SP rep finally made me a one-for-one swap and gave me an S600. Lesson: never buy newfangled anything, even from a company you trust. Buy gear that's been on the market for a while and had all the kinks worked out.
-LP 108 steel tank. It was much cheaper than HP, but ridiculously heavy, and I did mostly shore diving sometimes involving stairs and long walks. It was miserable. I eventually got some good deals on new and used HP tanks. I was not able to sell the LP giant tank and ended up recycling it for about $0.10/lb.
-Expensive warm water dive gloves. As a friend recently pointed out you can use just about any thin glove in warm water. Home Depot has nice gardening gloves that look remarkably similar to the fancy dive gloves I spent $40 on. But the HD ones are like $10.

Nitrox certification and the associated cleaning of tanks required for the PBP $280.00 I could have used on something useful.

A Faber steel HP 100 3180 tank. Only used it a few times. It collects more dust than dive time. Anyone interested? :wink: :wink: B.

Oh where do I start;

K valve regulators because I have had to convert them all to DIN at $75/reg (4 off)
Second hand O2 sling tank regulator set that cost me $100 plus $200 for repair, then it fell apart on one dive so now I have 1/2 a (now) non sealed reg.
1 mm hoods which float off my head
Non dive gloves because we were new and the LDS said they were a good buy
2 - 5mm wetsuits from Bali which we never used as we weren't happy with them (rush buy)
Second hand Liquivision computer (but I cant read it on sunny days)
A number of second hand secondary regs (because they were cheap and good to have spares, NOT)

Mainly buying cheaper stuff thinking its a cheap buy, but finding a few more $ would buy quality gear that's useful and lasts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom