What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets see... 1 pair Imprex fins never worn because I caught a good sale on Tusa Expert Zooms for $59

3mm pull on booties with no zipper. (man are they tougher than my 5,, zippered)

$157 scripted lenses w/bifocals (used once so far) now thinking laser surgery is looking good...

Arm mounted slate. (saw me coming on that one)

BIG honking Titanium stap-on toad sticker. BC mounted wife's is now MINE :wink:

5xl 3mm Farmer John suit in the middle of a weight-loss program. Lost 150#'s and have only worn it 4 times during cert. Now I can swim in it. LITERALLY!!! Anybody need a brand new big-boy bag???

I'll come up with more. I'm a sucker for toys and tools...

I wish I hadn't bought thin-sole boots. They don't really serve me well on shore entries. Not that there were options because the local hard-soles did not fit.

I like my fins but I hope I'd bought them from the same shop that the boots, so they wouldnt have ended up being too large.

This is not what this thread is about because this is a singular, brand item but my most disappointing investment: DR Transweight pockets (16lbs version). They just don't do their job well in my opinion. Given option they'd go back to shop tomorrow.

Ask whatever questions you like TSandM. If everyone did a search for every question they have as Vladimir is implying, He would'nt have much to do in a days work by the amount of time he spends on the Board

I like the idea, TSandM.

I honestly wish I had waited just a bit to see what type of diving I was planning on doing. I mean, don't get me wrong, my Uwatec 3 gauge console is nice, but I'm not going to need it when I eventually get into cave and what not.. I am in the process of changing my gear to a more hogarthian set up, not necessarily because I need it right this instance, but because I'd rather have experience with the set up before I start doing anything technical with it. I bought a bp/w off the bat, so no worries there.. I do want to get an actual second stage for a secondary instead of an octo, I will probably get a pressure gauge and get rid of my 3 gauge console eventually, I dumped my old fins for jetfins.. I think thats about it.

oceanic swivel octo. that things has been nothing but a pitb since I bought it. I've had to have it adjusted 3 times now for leak-by. Not to bash any companies or step on anyones toes but I doubt I'll buy much of anything anymore that's not built by scubapro. Almost everything I own (minus a few accessories i.e knife, slate) is scubapro and I have not had any issues with any of it. The one item I have had issues with is the one item I own that isn't scubapro.

With that said, I would like to try out some U.S. Divers/aqualung items. I've never heard anything bad about that company's products.

As of right now this is what I have:
Scubapro knighthawk BC
Scubapro Mk25/S600 reg
Oceanic swivel octo
Scubapro Clearvu mask
Scubapro Twinspeed fins
Scubapro Pheonix snorkel (really great for snorkeling and free diving)
Uwatec Aladin Prime
Scubapro standard three guage console
XS Scuba Fogcutter

Idea3 fins (good only for hovering, don't try them in current)
Folding snorkel (given snorkels are not very useful to begin with)
Large reel (never used - easier to wind line directly around the sausage)
Large knife (shears or a small hooked knife are much better to cut line)

A half-mil full suit. If the water's warm enough for a half-mil, it's warm enough not to wear a wet suit. I kept getting told when I first started diving that I needed protection for when I brushed up against the coral. I've never brushed up against the coral; and if I do run into coral, I deserve to get cut up a bit.

I hated my first BC, a Scubapro Finseal. Completely non-adjustable and never fit me very well, dumped it within a couple years. (Didn't buy an Air2 though as the shop's rentals had them and I didn't like them.) Also bought a pigsticker of a knife because it seemed at the time that's what you were supposed to have, that didn't last too long. Was content enough to get plenty of years out of the rest of my original gear, though I've since replaced everything but my reg at least once.

Hated my wetsuit, replaced that with warm water. :)

Loved my first fins (until they cracked) - Scubapro Seawings. The clear red ones. Wish I still had them.

I'm on computers 3 & 4, but they've all been Suunto. Computer #1 I had in a hose mount, now that was a pain on top a huge console - the combined monstrosity must have been at least a foot long. (ok, maybe I could have done better with the console too.) I do like having a console though, since I dive with 2 computers it's a good place to keep one of them, but I mostly look at the one on my wrist. Long since replaced that beast of a console with a smaller more compact one. Probably couldn't carry the old one on a plane anymore, they'd likely classify it as a weapon.

Been through at least 5 snorkels. My original disappeared someplace off Cape Anne, there was one so bad I tossed it right after I bought it, one I foisted on my husband, one I use for actual snorkeling, and a roll up one I sometimes carry when diving.

Been though a fair number of lights, many replaced due to untimely deaths or obsolescence. The laser pointer was a real waste, as were the yoke lights.

gcbryan, I agree with you on the non-HID light. I didn't wait two months before I replaced my original light with a Nite Rider HID. Of course, I had help making that decision . . . and in all of six weeks' retrospect, I should have spent more money and gotten a focusable light head. Do we ever make the right decision the first time?

TSandM:
gcbryan, I agree with you on the non-HID light. I didn't wait two months before I replaced my original light with a Nite Rider HID. Of course, I had help making that decision . . . and in all of six weeks' retrospect, I should have spent more money and gotten a focusable light head. Do we ever make the right decision the first time?

No:) But it's good to have 2 of everything anyway:)

Back
Top Bottom