What did you buy that you regret?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely the jacket BC.

And the Cressi Pro Light fins. Too flexible, like having noodles for fins.

Also the console computer, but I was able to recognize that in time to exchange it (minus a hefty restocking fee!) for a wrist computer. Which, now that I think about it, amounts to a pretty expensive bottom timer that also does PC downloads. But at least its in a really slick bungee mount. :)

OTOH I really like my snorkel. Not for diving, but for snorkeling.

TSandM:
So what gear-buying decisions did other people make that they regretted later?
A Gavin

cressi big eye mask (I was forced to buy it but it was too big for my face) - I paid over 50 bucks from LDS!

For what it's worth I just got rid of three things:

First off, the Oceanic 180 swivel octo...yea, it can be breathed at any angle and it lies flat next to your body, but in an actual OAA (or even a simulated one in a rescue class) I wished I had gotten a decent second stage back up. I got an ATX-50 instead and it works much better and the slight savings in size has not been missed.

Second was the SK-7 on the retractor. I should have learned from how much I enjoy having my computer on my wrist that the compass would be the same way. It would get caught up under the straps if I left it on while donning my gear, and then I had to fumble around for it while in the water. I can't always find a compass floating around right away, but I can always seem to find my wrists.

Lastly, was the XS Scuba Fogcutter X. I am a sucker for gadgets and I bought the first one that came into my LDS. After thinking about the purchase over the next 20 dives and a rescue class, I was left to wonder how this monster would actually help me out. I realized that what I had bought was a knife much more suited in size for an undersea battle of Sea Hunt proportion than any light cutting or prying I would be doing with it. The shears are neat because they are attached to the knife, and I'm sure they could be used to snip a bit of monofilament, but for any leaders, wire, metal or exposure suits in the case of emergency they would be sorely lacking. Bottom line is that you get a knife with a sub-standard set of shears both made cooler merely by their being one unit. I have since replaced it with a small knife mounted on my waist strap just in case I do ever run into any knifing needs (although in about 100 dives I have not had use for one), and a pair of stainless steel EMT shears that I am pretty sure could cut through just about anything.

-Keith

Ditto with Rick, shoulda gone DIN in the first place.

Hmmm...hopefully nobody from a previous thread I started will notice me saying this...but...

The Air2

It works fine but I don't like the big *** mouthpiece and the heavy feel.

Plus I've discovered the coolness of a hogarthian setup. Now I want to get another Scubapro second stage for my MK25 and use that as the octo.
Don't make impulse buys. They will end up on Ebay or sold to Leisurepro <sigh>

I was lucky in that I got advice from my tech instructor about what to buy before I bought anything. I have since changed my mask to have prescription lenses but my original serves as a good backup. I occasionally think about changing my Mares Quattro fins as they take a lot of leg muscle and I'm not getting any younger! eyebrow Sometimes I get leg cramps these days and it occurs to me that slightly smaller fins might be better. The only thing I ever bought that I found really useless was one of those octo holders that you squeeze the mouthpiece in - I hated it and it never worked properly. Now I have a DiveRite holder that bungies round the mouthpiece and clips off - much better. I simply love my TranspacII and Apeks regs so for the rest I'm happy.

I have a box in my garage full of "stuff I'll never use again" ... it sometimes comes in handy, though, when someone else needs to borrow something ... :wink:

TSandM:
gcbryan, I agree with you on the non-HID light. I didn't wait two months before I replaced my original light with a Nite Rider HID. Of course, I had help making that decision . . . and in all of six weeks' retrospect, I should have spent more money and gotten a focusable light head. Do we ever make the right decision the first time?
Now you might understand why I own three (well, currently four ... but I'm selling one) canister lights. You're gonna love that NiteRider in the tropics though ... especially when you have to pack it in your carry-on for traveling ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

About four years ago, I purchased a Seaquest Black Diamond BC and integrated octo, Suunto Cobra with attached compass and fancy $30 retractor, and an Apeks TX50. The only thing from this kit which I still use is the regulator. Everything else has been ebayed in favor of a bp/wings, bungied octo, and wrist mount computer and compass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom