What dive types justify filling out a dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Log whatever you like, but don't be surprised if, when qualifying dives as a requirement to take a course, an instructor does not count all the dives you have logged.

A Log is your record and you can keep it or not keep it as you please.

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

During OW cert we were required to log each pool dive. Partly to make sure we knew how to log. Partly as a record. I log every dive because there is always something to remember/learn. I had a very short shore dive on Bonaire that I had to abort because I switched from an Al 80 to an Al 64 and forgot to add weight. Glad I logged the dive as aborted. I didn't get to dive that site that trip and couldn't remember which it was. Going to Bonaire again in November and all I had to do was check the log and put that site on my list. I log every dive - my computer does, why shouldn't I? You never know when or about what you will want to look back. As far as dive total - I don't need one. I won't be taking any more classes as I've gotten the material down (not that I'm not still practiceing all the skills to get better) for the AOW core through Solo. So, long story short - my log is for my reference and I prefer that it be as complete as possible.

A divelog is a personal record. You are the best person that can decide which dives should be logged or not.
Besides a divelog is a proof of experience for a LDS if you go to dive somewhere in the world, to show that you have the required experience level to do a particular dive and that your last dive was done before a Scuba Skills Update is required.

Log any significant dive,

note your statistics like tank air pressure,
max depth,
dive duration,
safety stops / deco stops,
water quality, wisibility and temperature,
observed marine life,
features of the dive ( i.e. wreck or cave),
who you dived with,
what dive boat,
Divemasters name, etc.
write your log as soon as possible after the dive,
when memory is still fresh.

personally I add what weight is on the belt, what dive gear, tanks ( size and type )

It will make future dive planning easier.

:wink:

I log almost all my dives, outside of a pool.

However, I spent two hours at the bottom of a pool with two guys doing 24 hours for charity. This made the logbook, but isn't numbered. Its not in my dive count, but I logged about the experience.

Reactions: RJP
My usual response is make sure you have enough "official" dives according to the agency if required to enter into a course. Otherwise log what you want. I don't log any pool dives, but keep them separate in my "pro" section of the book. There also is the question does it count if the dive is not signed by a buddy--consensus is we don't really know. I have well over the "official" number needed for any course, so it doesn't matter to me if today's dive is called "official" or not. No one has EVER looked at my book (unless signing it)--this includes all charters and courses I've taken.

No one has EVER looked at my book (unless signing it)--this includes all charters and courses I've taken.

When doing a Liveaboard on the Red Sea our group was asked to show our log books. We had to send copies ahead of time. I think it was most recent 50 dives.

When doing a Liveaboard on the Red Sea our group was asked to show our log books. We had to send copies ahead of time. I think it was most recent 50 dives.

You e-mailed all that or copies via snail mail?

We dive on vacation once or twice a year and I log every dive. Over the years it has become a great record of our travels and the things we have done and seen and people we have met and details about the dive and equipment. I am really glad that I've kept this record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom