What do GUE/DIR divers look for in a learn to dive class for friends and family?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
DIR Practitioners,

Most of us can probably agree that the current industry-standard of shorter-is-better is not what we look for when we send our friends and loved ones out to become certified and join us in exploring the underwater world. So in light of our experience doing diving in a different way, what do you look for when recommending a learn to dive class to your friends and family?

Do you send them to the most convenient/closest class and then "fix" them later with another course (GUE Fundamentals or other offering)?
or
Do you try to find them a higher-standard OW class? If so, what elements do you look for in an open water class that you'd recommend?

I've found that a lot of people just aren't interested in an intensive/expensive class when they're just starting out. Its too much investment in something they might not even like.

I point them to GUE but its a hard sell to someone who's brand new.

A colleague and his wife and kids recently got certified. I would have encouraged him to seek out a "higher standard" OW class, but being someone of a similar mindset as me, he found such an instructor/class on his own. From the water cooler debriefings I got, I believe no "fixing" will be required later. It restored my faith that there are still some major-agency instructors out there who go the extra mile, teach the old-fashioned way, etc.

The "elements" of the class that he looked for--and which I would have advised him to look for had he not seemed to intuitively know to look for them--included, in no particular order: (1) spread out over several days, (2) small class size (they had a private class), (3) old-fashioned face-to-face classroom time, and (4) lots of time spent in the water.

The more interesting question that has occurred to me is why I didn't point him to GUE Rec 1. I think the answer to that is that the Rec 1 card is still obscure out there in the big world of dive travel destinations. I know you're doing your part to help change that.

. . .Do you send them to the most convenient/closest class and then "fix" them later with another course (GUE Fundamentals or other offering)?
or
Do you try to find them a higher-standard OW class? . . .
In either case, at least supplement their usual basic OW texts with Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving. Ideally have them read JJ's book in parallel and answer any questions they may have, but with the coursework, equipment configuration and skill requirements of the particular OW Agency taking initial precedence in order to first obtain basic Scuba Open Water Certification.

I get a fair number of referrals from those I have dived with etc who want what you described, basically a DIR course but with some of the FLDA (Four Letter Dive Agency) sensibilities with ease of entry into the sport, some flexibility with gear etc etc

Without exception, all of them have stated that they are coming to me because :
  • They don't want a rushed course
  • They don't want them certified unless they are really ready
  • They want them taught neutral and horizontal
  • They want them exposed to the DIR principles eg long hose, rock-bottom, etc etc to facilitate buddying later
  • They don't go to GUE / UTD direct because they feel that this may "put them off" when they are starting
I suspect that many divers equate GUE with the Fundies which is notoriously easy to fail (or rather not pass) first time. There may be a perceptual barrier to realising that Fundies is an extension for an already certified diver, so part of the USP is the pride felt in passing. The difficulty is a feature, not a bug.

However, I'm sure that the Rec 1 course approach is a lot different to Fundies, like UTD is with Essentials of Rec. Maybe emphasing the "FUN" aspect of the courses or making some kind of effort to ensure that the potential students understand that the emphasis is on quality of training and inclusiveness, rather than as a gatekeeper for more advanced training like GUE-F is often considered.

I know that you are asking in order to help market your courses more effectively, FWIW I have found that a DIR style course meets all the requirements of a RAID course, so I can dual certify as RAID after conducting an unmodified DIR course. This obviates the problem mentioned earlier with recognition issues in remote locations later.

I do actually think that worry is overemphasised but it is a real concern in potential students minds.

I was thinkin' more about this on the drive home.

Mer, Emily (my gf) is a good example. She was certified at a diver factory in Thailand about 2yrs after we started dating. She knows the deal (obviously) but just isn't interested in taking fundamentals. She dives once in a blue moon and her skills are adequate for what she's interested in (shallow tropical reefs in SE Asia and the Caribbean). Even the 'fix it later' thing doesn't really come into play as she's "good enough" for those types of dives.

As such, I leave it alone. She's not dangerous to herself and others and is having fun. That's what its all about.

I was thinkin' more about this on the drive home.

Mer, Emily (my gf) is a good example. She was certified at a diver factory in Thailand about 2yrs after we started dating. She knows the deal (obviously) but just isn't interested in taking fundamentals. She dives once in a blue moon and her skills are adequate for what she's interested in (shallow tropical reefs in SE Asia and the Caribbean). Even the 'fix it later' thing doesn't really come into play as she's "good enough" for those types of dives.

As such, I leave it alone. She's not dangerous to herself and others and is having fun. That's what its all about.

I have exactly the same with my wife. Got her horizontal and mostly trimmed and that's as far as I can get her to go.

I'm fortunate enough to have a "lds" that most it's instructors are technical/cave divers and those who arent are psuedo-tech minded. This makes the choice much simpler for what to recommend to friends.

I've had this with a few of my friends (and coworkers) recently that my boss and I certified (he's a PADI instructor, I'm a DM). Two of our friends will mostly be holiday divers, with the occasional foray into the UK sea/quarries to keep their skills up to date. We got them to a point where they are happy and comfortable, and not kicking up the silt or crashing into the wreck. They can stay off the bottom, control their buoyancy, and can comfortably clear masks and share air if needed. They are safe for what they want to do, shallow bimbles. The third is a completely different story. Pretty much after the first OW dive, she decided that diving was it. She wanted to eventually venture into technical diving. So we held her to a slightly higher standard and pushed her a little bit more. We put a bit more emphasis on buoyancy and trim, proper finning technique, etc. She has done somewhere in the region of 15-20 dives since July. She doesn't look it like it. We went for a sea dive last month, and I couldn't find the shot to ascend back up the line (not necessary) due to other divers kicking up the silt around the top of the wreck. So I put my dsmb up for ascent. Mid-water, spool for visual reference safety stop held, in pretty good trim. She did the standard 4 day PADI open water course. So it can be done with a bit of effort. And the diver to be needs to want it. I'm quietly trying to steer her towards fundies and GUE for technical training, but I recognise she is also a student, so fundies may be a couple of years off for her as she graduates and tries to figure out what she wants to do with her life.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom