What do I do next after SSI Stress & Rescue Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Either PADI or SSI, you'll need EFR/CPR and Science of Diving before doing Divemaster, you may be able to do the CPR with the dive master course. I'd look at where you want to be or work and do the dive master training there and don't do just the class, intern or work for a bit too - you need the local experience. Some places do the instructor training with an internship too - it gets you teaching and experience locally guiding.

I'm 53, was SSI up to doing Dive Master with PADI, starting instructor internship in a few months.

After stress and rescue, I suggest a couple of shots of Fleur De Cana with lime.

If it were me, I'd go to disney world.

Reactions: Zef
Are there so many people who don't have a CPR card? It is just a 4 hour course. EFR is not the only accepted way. Here a lot of people have one from the 'European Resuscitation Council', which is accepted also. Or DAN BLS.

Oxygen provider is sometimes also needed. This is in my country withing the cmas rescue specialty.

Are there so many people who don't have a CPR card? It is just a 4 hour course. EFR is not the only accepted way. Here a lot of people have one from the 'European Resuscitation Council', which is accepted also. Or DAN BLS.

Oxygen provider is sometimes also needed. This is in my country withing the cmas rescue specialty.

Hardly anyone I know has a cpr card. Lots of people get them in high school but they expire in a relatively short period of time.

I've got a buddy who has the DAN instructor cert but he doesn't do much with it. I get free classes because he needs to be certifying students in order to stay current. Lucky me! It came in handy when I wanted to work at an aquarium as they required it.

" Lots of people get them in high school but they expire in a relatively short period of time. "

In the US, as far as I know they all expire in two years from the issue date. And then, depending on how well you're plugged into the bush telegraph, it may be free to take another course, or another fast $50. Mainly a PITA but someone wants to make sure you're either practicing (professionally) or getting ongoing familiarity.

I never thought about CPR my entire life until I started thinking about Rescue course. Still haven't seen a real CPR incident--only on TV. I'm 64.
Interesting that CPR (EFR, etc.) is not required for PADI OW course (and probably same with most other agencies). Yet my 2005 OW manual suggests buddying with a fellow new OW graduate may be a good way to go. 2 people without CPR training buddying up with no one else around....

Here it is also 2 years valid. But we can follow it for 20 euro at work on an evening. The DAN or EFR cert is much more expensive and does exactly the same.
I have done 1 real cpr and the person is still alive and healthy.

Thanks for the pointers. Will look into it and contact the relevant companies.

Is it normal for 46 year old's to become dive leaders so late in the game?
I started diving when I was 55. Was an Dive Master/ SSI Dive Guide at 56, became a Dive Con at 57, an Assistant Instructor at 58 and (hopefully) will complete my Open Water Instructor IE just before my 59th birthday!

Age isn't an issue! Pursue your passions!

You don't need to be a divemaster to lead dives as long as you are not being paid for the service. OP, consider that you will have to pay professional dues and carry liability insurance before you decide to take that next step, and evaluate this against how much money you think/plan to make leading dives. If the rational calculus computes that you will gain then go for it, or go for it if you think you will learn something from taking the training, but you can buddy up with a handful of folks and lead a dive without having a professional status certification.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom