What do I need and Where do I start to learn to Free dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSpaulding2

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I sat in a class at DEMA conducted by a free diver world record holder. He talked about new ways to learns to hold your breath and increase bottom time. I am totally new to this concept of free diving and I think I am interested in learnin how to free dive. Are there things I can do at home or breathing excercises to begin practicing?

Here is a book you can buy it's called Manual of Freediving Underwater on a single breath by Umberto Pelizzari and Stefano Tovaglieri.
the book is 39.95 and well worth it.

Umberto Pelizzari - The campion Italian freediver who broke 17 world records in all the disciplines.

Stefano Tovaglieri - An experienced Scuba and apnea instructor as well Sports graduate.

Step by step everything you need to know, and how to learn.

While you can learn a lot from books, the most important thing to learn is how to be safe. For that I'd take a course. The two I know of that offer classes in the U.S. are Performance Freediving International and Martin Stepanek's Freediving Instructors and Trainers. PFI is out of Vancouver, BC but also offers courses in Hawaii, Monteray, CA, Miami, and Grand Cayman. FIT is out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. Martin used to be an instructor/partner of PFI, but split to start his own company. While I only have experience with PFI (after Martin left), I'm sure they're both quality training programs.

Learning to freedive can be very dangerous, even in situations that you'd think were relatively safe. For example, people die in the pool just holding their breath. So the other necessity, if you're going to train in the water, you really need a buddy watching over you.

But that said, I think it's worth it. There's a lot you can do on a breath hold that you can't when you're blowing bubbles. Have fun learning.

JB

I sat in a class at DEMA conducted by a free diver world record holder. He talked about new ways to learns to hold your breath and increase bottom time. I am totally new to this concept of free diving and I think I am interested in learnin how to free dive. Are there things I can do at home or breathing excercises to begin practicing?

It had to be Martin Stepanek, I know he was at DEMA. Martin team taught with Kirk Krack at PFI when I went through it back in 2003. Both are top notch instructors.

Yes, you can practice much at home, but only do it with a dive buddy and close one on one observation. "Freedive" by Terry Maas and Dave Syperly is another good book.

Chad

I can vouch for Martins FIT course first hand. I took the FIT level 2 course in October and thoroughly enjoyed it. If fact, I was just out diving with the FIT guys yesterday on one of their practice sessions that they host for FIT graduates. I would highly recommend the FIT program to anyone at any experience level. This course will definitely put you on the fast track for improving your freediving skills and safety.

In the meantime, if you want to improve your breathold time you can work on O2 and CO2 tolerance tables that can be found in the “Manual of Freediving” that Speargirl mentions. The goal of these tables is to build CO2 and O2 tolerance so you don't have to do these in the water. Do them dry at home where it is safer.
-Chris

Hey guys,
Thanks for taking the time to share really good information. I will check out a few of these books.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom