What do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry.., stands for "Subject Matter Expert"

You use these acronyms long enough and you forget not everyone knows them

Now that I know what SME is I don’t agree anyone is or should ever claim to be one in the PSD world.

SME could mean PSD is Pretty Seriously Dead if you get the KIA, (know it all) attitude. Hummm, could mean Killed In Action as well.

Gary D.

I don't think anyone worth their weight in dive gear would ever claim to be a SME in your sense of the word, Gary. However if someone has the proper levels of training...., the years of experience in PSD..., and that through these standards you are called upon to set up or establish the training standards and exercises, and called upon for court or inquiry to testify regarding PSD procedures and practices, some will consider you a SME. Nothing about being a SME says "Knows everything". It is merely a tag usually used in court to recognize a certain level of skill, training, experience and ability.

This was in no way a comment towards me.., I was merely stating that there is enough experience on this board to have qualified people here who would be more that able to teach something like the PERT course being promoted.

Gee whiz.., this is why I prefer to stay slightly submerged.., just reading and not saying much. Pop up to the surface and its.... Open mouth, insert fin

don't sweat it, Ditch. I understand what you mean. Some people just don't like the word "expert" and for good reason.

A true expert in my mind is someone who has complete understanding of whatever subject matter and then begins to always question, always improve; beyond mastery, always practicing and studying. They probably don't even consider themselves an expert
Too many "experts" reach a certain point and then close off. These are the KIA's as Gary puts it IMO

we are having a DR1 class next month in Hennepin Co. host by the SO. ( sheriffs office) I think that I have been through 5 or 6 of their classes and with their Instructors you will get the most bang for the buck. You will also get the best people with local knowlege.
grumpie......

Well after a lot of wrangling and calls, It seems that I need another thing to go PSD. A town with some sense.

Basically they say do not want a PSD as part of their FD because if someone drowns and the PSD doesn't rescue them, they can be sued. By that logic, the town also shouldn't have a PD or FD either, since if they don't come through 100% of the time they could be sued.

I had offered to pay for everything myself, at zero expense to the FD, including training and equipment (well I already had all of the equipment). Pretty much what they said is if someone goes in, Marine Patrol will attempt surface recovery, if unsuccessful, then the fish+wildlife dive team will be called in. So if you go in and aren't on the surface, you are left for dead, and f+w do the body recovery. Gives you a nice feeling.

FWIW, a few towns within our county also have their own dive teams. I'll wait for the call after one of the selectmens' kids goes into the lake and there is no diver to give them a chance, then they want to establish a team.

So much for trying to help your town out.

...they say do not want a PSD as part of their FD because if someone drowns and the PSD doesn't rescue them, they can be sued.

You may point out the incident in Old Saybrook, CT where the town was sued for not having a Dive Rescue team.

I think that turning down a person offering the service and denying the service exposes the community to more liability. I recall an incident years ago where a diver volunteered to recover a victim minutes after an incident and the local law enforcement officer would not allow the dive to enter the water. The town was sued (and I think the plaintiff received an award) because they prevented a rescue. I think it sounds similar to what you're experiencing and I am sure attorneys are just waiting for an incident to happen in your community.

The bottom line is citizens expect the service and NFPA 1670 states that the Authority Having Jurisdiction will have a plan for dealing with aquatic emergencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom