What do Open water divers struggle with the most?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a question for instructors and divemasters but everyone else is more than welcome to respond. When you are teaching open water students, what is that one thing that new students struggle with the most? Or when you were getting certified, what was the most difficult part of it? Thanks.

No such thing as "one thing" that they struggle with the most. Everyone is different. Some folks are rock stars and pick up everything right away, some struggle with a few (or more) skills, and some find there is something that turns out to be a show stopper. Even among the ones that struggle at first, some catch on quickly after that initial struggle, and some continue to require remediation.

Now, regarding "show stoppers," aside from just overall anxiety prevents someone from overcoming their fears, I have most run into folks that just can't stand to have the mask off of their face in the water.

On other "common" issues, I find that when I notice a pattern of frequent difficulty that it can often be addressed by modifying the way that I am teaching, so that the pattern fades away. For instance, I began to notice some divers struggle with their first giant stride entries into the pool. (and that can be a whole process to have them repeat it - have to get out, get the fins back on, and try again without falling over!) I now have all of my students first enter the water with a giant stride wearing only snorkel gear, so that they can work on the mechanics of the stride before I add on all the weight and bulk of scuba gear.

When I did open water I struggled with mask drills most. My instructor told me to go to the pool fill my mask then just walk around in waist deep water for a while. I've seen my ow instructor around and I'm sure he's surprised at how far I've come through sheer determination. I made a decision I was going to scuba dive and I struggled but have enjoyed a lot of great dives and look forward to many more.
So I'm sure different students struggle in different areas but I'm sure most have decided to do ow for a reason.

For me, the confined pool dives were my biggest challenge at first. My class was 10 students. Too many people in a small area. Once in the ocean or lake, shangra-la, at least for me. I think everyone will have a challenge or two or three. Be diligent, be safe and just do it. Also enjoy the journey. It goes by real fast and then you will want to learn even more.

Mask drills will probably top most people's list. The problem with doing mask drills is they all involve putting water in the mask. Then the student has to clear the water out. But they're new at it, and they are skeptical. Which means if they're not able to clear the water on the first try, their brain tends to jump quickly to "this doesn't work!" followed by "and I can't see!"

And of course the only way to convince them that it does work is to get them to try again... which some of them are reluctant to do because they've decided it doesn't work. Once they are able to clear their mask the first time, the problem usually goes away.

I've found that problems clearing the mask are usually caused by a mask strap that's too tight. I always address setting the mask strap tension properly well before introducing the first mask drill underwater; found that minimizes anxiety and issues over mask drills, since most students can then clear their mask fairly easily.

All other potential issues (buoyancy, etc) are pretty easy for students to work on until they hone their skills, they don't seem to have the potential to cause panic the way that mask drills do.

For me, the most difficult and the most useful skill to master was hovering in flat trim, motionlessly, and maintain the depth. I couldn't figure out, why am I constantly rotating along the horizontal axis and moving forward. My right side was sinking. Relocating weights and ballast did not help. (I was in a dry suit.) I used fins to keep the balance, hence I unintentionally moved ahead. My mentor advised me to spend some time in the water without fins and stare at a pebble in front of me. After about one hour the problem was gone. It was amazing how my sense of balance evolved when fins weren't an option.

I remember struggling most with neutral buoyancy. Releasing air when going up and adding enough to not touch the bottom.

To be honest I am still learning to be perfectly flat :)

Buoyancy. One piece of gear changed (ex. Going to a drysuit) can take someone that has their buoyancy figured out (in a wetsuit) and make them look like an OW student.

I’ve dived with more than a couple people (OW through Master cert) that struggled to get weighted to submerge in a drysuit. By that, I’m talking needing multiple weight additions and even then struggling to submerge.

Thats not a knock on them, but more of a question along the lines of “how exactly are drysuit courses/instructors teaching weighting?” There’s no common instructor or agency for the people that I mentioned, so it just makes me wonder.

That’s not even getting into buoyancy issues that the average diver in a wetsuit deals with.

Reactions: Zef
I am not an instructor or DM, but based on my observation of new divers/insta-buddies, I'd say Buoyancy, Trim, and Anxiety, in that order.

The buoyancy issues are fairly obvious - it takes a little time to gain the experience and to utilize one's breathing for slight up/down movements.

Trim - I listed separately because it's not so much the Up/Down, it's the pitch of the body position (head up/head down). I see new divers swimming forwards and upwards because their body is pointed upwards like the bow of a boat. The good news is that just a little work (move some weight this way or that) and they're usually good to go.

And Anxiety, well, calm down n check out the beautiful fishies! (But really, again, it just takes a little time.)

When I've seen someone really struggling with this 3 topics, I sometimes start a casual conversation with them then ease into whether or not they would like any advise. I do not ever claim to be an instructor or expert, but i am happy to share my experiences and what has helped or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom