What do the numbers on scuba tanks mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Nick27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I got a brand new Faber steel cylinder, which I've already done some diving with. And I just want to know what the numbers mean on it. Below I typed out the numbers in order, top line and then bottom line, they go as follows:

BSE120S FABER MADE IN ITALY M8303 19/0342/021 03 ^ 19 TC - SU 7694 - 237
DOT - SP 13488 - 3442 DO NOT OVERPRESSURIZE REE100 TP 5250

I'm probably wrong, but I assume BSE120S is about the tank's capacity, 03^19 is the date of production, and SP 13488 is the serial part number, 3442 is obviously the working pressure. DOT means department of transportation. I don't get anything else.

I am also interested in the DO NOT OVERPRESSURIZE REE100 TP 5250 part. The guy that filled the tank at my local dive shop told me that the standard working pressure is 3442 psi, and since I'm running DIN on it, I can safely put in more pressure. He says that he also has a Faber 100 and he runs it at 4000 psi by filling it a little past the working pressure and then topping it off to 4k when it cools down. The question is, can you do that? Does the 5250 part signify the maximum pressure the cylinder can withstand?

The cylinder I am using is a Faber 120 cubic foot, high pressure steel tank, right now it is filled with air.

DOT SP13488 is the special permit that it is certified number.

TC is the Canadian equivalent. REE100 is the test procedure, and 5250 is the best pressure.

Does the 5250 part signify the maximum pressure the cylinder can withstand?
I'm pretty certain it's the hydro test pressure. Which is quite a bit above sensible working pressure.

5250/3442 = 1.5, and in Europe test pressure is 150% of working pressure.

5250 is the test pressure for requalification (5/3 working pressure), and the REE number is the allowable permanent expansion limit in the requalification test.

SP 13488 is the Special Permit from DOT for the cylinder specifications being acceptable (manufacture).

03^19 is your "BORN ON" date
TC... Is Canada's certification (like DOT in the US) - Transport Canada

Other info is model, manufacturer, serial number..

Not going to comment on fill practices...

5250 is the test pressure for requalification (5/3 working pressure),
Does not compute. 5/3 of 3442 is 5735. 150% of 3442 is 5165 (-ish). Neither of which is equal to 5250, but 5165 is a lot closer than 5735 is.

5250/3442 = 1.53

The guy that filled the tank at my local dive shop told me that the standard working pressure is 3442 psi, and since I'm running DIN on it, I can safely put in more pressure. He says that he also has a Faber 100 and he runs it at 4000 psi by filling it a little past the working pressure and then topping it off to 4k when it cools down. The question is, can you do that?

Steels cylinders are regularly overfilled (in the US) all day long with no issues. I have the same kind of 3442 service pressure HP100 tank from Worthington. The shop I use fills them to 3700-4000 every time. I'm good with that. Very good.

Do NOT overfill aluminum tanks.

@Storker - yeah, that is a head scratcher. The requalification test standard, IIRC, is 5/3 working.

No idea if there is another "new" standard...

Steels cylinders are regularly overfilled (in the US) all day long with no issues.
Your test pressure is 5/3 of working pressure. Our test pressure is 150% of working pressure. My old 200 bar tank would, if it passed a 300 bar hydro, only be certified to 180 bar on the left side of the pond.

While I wouldn't have any issues regularly "overfilling" that tank by 10% by your rules, I'd be more reluctant to fill it significantly beyond 200 bar (cold).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom