What do the numbers on scuba tanks mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PSI-PCI - Filling Cylinders In Water - Time to Review
Here is a link to a PSI article about water baths and overfilling cylinders. This issue has been around for awhile. I'm not leaning one way or the other people can do what they want with there personal cylinders and I'm one for a good fill. My personal thought and this is based on the industry I'm in is all metal fatigues and by continually pressurizing a cylinder above it's design pressure you are shortening its life span as fatigue does not go away you only add to it but by how much does it shorten it? you only know when it lets go.

PSI-PCI doesn't have a whole lot of credibility with me. I'm not a fan of the strong-arm tactics they have used (successfully) to keep other certifying agencies out of what they feel is "their turf". But even if this is correct I lean towards the view that steel cylinders are over-engineered to the point where the changes in the tank caused by this practice is so small that it becomes negligible. I believe we would see much more systemic hydro failures if this were a legitimate issue. If my tanks start failing hydro I may become a believe but for now I think this is mostly bunk.

PSI-PCI - Filling Cylinders In Water - Time to Review
Here is a link to a PSI article about water baths and overfilling cylinders. This issue has been around for awhile. I'm not leaning one way or the other people can do what they want with there personal cylinders and I'm one for a good fill. My personal thought and this is based on the industry I'm in is all metal fatigues and by continually pressurizing a cylinder above it's design pressure you are shortening its life span as fatigue does not go away you only add to it but by how much does it shorten it? you only know when it lets go.

That is interesting. I will remember that. Well yeah, no one really overfills your cylinder unless you ask for it.

If the number on the tank reads "249.95", its probably the price.

5250 is the test pressure for requalification (5/3 working pressure), and the REE number is the allowable permanent expansion limit in the requalification test.

SP 13488 is the Special Permit from DOT for the cylinder specifications being acceptable (manufacture).

03^19 is your "BORN ON" date
TC... Is Canada's certification (like DOT in the US) - Transport Canada

Other info is model, manufacturer, serial number..

Not going to comment on fill practices...

03^19 should be the manufacturers first hydro date which happens at time of manufacture

That is interesting. I will remember that. Well yeah, no one really overfills your cylinder unless you ask for it.
this topic has been around forever.

here is the real poop on this. there is a deesignated wp working pressure that you are not supposed to exceed. DO NOT OVER FILL is related to that number. People refuse to accept that you can gage wise over fill a tank and it is acceptable SO LONG AS when the pressure is corrected to I think 70F it is working pressure or less. here are examples (for reference 1 degree F is about 5psi) your tank is geting filled it is a hot day and no matter how slow you fill the tank the tank is 110F that is 40 psi over the spec temp which the spec PSI is mated with. if you fill it to 200 psi over WP it is not an over fill, so that a 3000 psi al80 can be filled to 3200 if the tank is 110F. Now lets look at the reverse problem which was not really considered at the time as diving goes but is in fire fighting. you tank is 40F so that if you fill it to 2999 psi at 40F you are legally over filled by 150 psi if the temp were corrected to 70 degrees. If someone tells you other wise they lack understanding. Now if you filled a tank to wp of 3k at 70F and you take the tank to the lake and the tank heats up to 100F... You put the reg on and the psi reads 3150 psi,,,, are you now in violation of working pressure being exceeded. NO.

The water bath issue is also a BS thing. It is a rule to prevent water from getting into the valve and into the tank causing rust and long term wall thickness reduction. This is a common sense thing. put the fill hose on the tank than set the tank in the bath instead of having water in the tank valve and then putting on the fill hose and pushing the water into the tank. The disdane about wet filling is that some believe it will keep the tank cool while filling. it does so-so depending how fast you fill. if you fill fast the inside is hot and the out side is cool until the heat makes it through the tank wall making a bath useless. I wet bath fill. it cools the tank proior to fillng back down to 70-80 instead of being at 100F + temp rising because of gas compression. I also set the tank in a area of wet grass and that cools the tank. You can put a towel on the tank and pour water on the towel and do the same thing. HOt fills for many divers is a sore spot. fillers dont have a clue when they fill . they fill an already hot tank in less than a minute and will not exceed 3000 psi,,,,, by the time you get it to the dive site it only has 26-2800 psi in it because of the tank cooling. I have tried to do a slow fill from a compressor and it is not easy. A 6 cuft compressor filling a al80 cuft tank takes about 10-12 minutes. the rule for filling rate is 600 psi per minute or less. that means that a al80 can be topped of in 6 minutes and yet when filled form a compressor it gets hot. not only because of the compression but from the hot gas being put into the tank. Coming form a cascade where the temps of gas drops to the 70's is a totally different situation than off a compressor. Businesses that fill call many times > 2700 a full tank because of the way the filler is cutting off filling at 3000 and letting the tank cool. YOU can fill off a compressor if you are say filling a dozen tanks at once. fill psi rate is slow but there is minimal tank heat generated form compression. In my fill station I can tell you tanks get hot with out something to speed draw to heat out. That is filling 3 tanks at once on a compressor and not using a cascade for air source.

this topic has been around forever.

here is the real poop on this. there is a deesignated wp working pressure that you are not supposed to exceed. DO NOT OVER FILL is related to that number. People refuse to accept that you can gage wise over fill a tank and it is acceptable SO LONG AS when the pressure is corrected to I think 70F it is working pressure or less. here are examples (for reference 1 degree F is about 5psi) your tank is geting filled it is a hot day and no matter how slow you fill the tank the tank is 110F that is 40 psi over the spec temp which the spec PSI is mated with. if you fill it to 200 psi over WP it is not an over fill, so that a 3000 psi al80 can be filled to 3200 if the tank is 110F. Now lets look at the reverse problem which was not really considered at the time as diving goes but is in fire fighting. you tank is 40F so that if you fill it to 2999 psi at 40F you are legally over filled by 150 psi if the temp were corrected to 70 degrees. If someone tells you other wise they lack understanding. Now if you filled a tank to wp of 3k at 70F and you take the tank to the lake and the tank heats up to 100F... You put the reg on and the psi reads 3150 psi,,,, are you now in violation of working pressure being exceeded. NO.

The water bath issue is also a BS thing. It is a rule to prevent water from getting into the valve and into the tank causing rust and long term wall thickness reduction. This is a common sense thing. put the fill hose on the tank than set the tank in the bath instead of having water in the tank valve and then putting on the fill hose and pushing the water into the tank. The disdane about wet filling is that some believe it will keep the tank cool while filling. it does so-so depending how fast you fill. if you fill fast the inside is hot and the out side is cool until the heat makes it through the tank wall making a bath useless. I wet bath fill. it cools the tank proior to fillng back down to 70-80 instead of being at 100F + temp rising because of gas compression. I also set the tank in a area of wet grass and that cools the tank. You can put a towel on the tank and pour water on the towel and do the same thing. HOt fills for many divers is a sore spot. fillers dont have a clue when they fill . they fill an already hot tank in less than a minute and will not exceed 3000 psi,,,,, by the time you get it to the dive site it only has 26-2800 psi in it because of the tank cooling. I have tried to do a slow fill from a compressor and it is not easy. A 6 cuft compressor filling a al80 cuft tank takes about 10-12 minutes. the rule for filling rate is 600 psi per minute or less. that means that a al80 can be topped of in 6 minutes and yet when filled form a compressor it gets hot. not only because of the compression but from the hot gas being put into the tank. Coming form a cascade where the temps of gas drops to the 70's is a totally different situation than off a compressor. Businesses that fill call many times > 2700 a full tank because of the way the filler is cutting off filling at 3000 and letting the tank cool. YOU can fill off a compressor if you are say filling a dozen tanks at once. fill psi rate is slow but there is minimal tank heat generated form compression. In my fill station I can tell you tanks get hot with out something to speed draw to heat out. That is filling 3 tanks at once on a compressor and not using a cascade for air source.

I will remember that. But you can overfill LP tanks, why you can't do that with HP tanks?

If the number on the tank reads "249.95", its probably the price.
Hahaha. On the price tag maybe...

I will remember that. But you can overfill LP tanks, why you can't do that with HP tanks?
I cant say why other than they are under a different manufacturing method perhaps alloys etc is involved. I have always been told over filling a LP is ok but not to do it to a hp tank. different elasticity and recovery perhaps. could be that if they are a lighter tank they have to have thinner walls, much like over filing steel in general as compared to al.

PSI-PCI doesn't have a whole lot of credibility with me. I'm not a fan of the strong-arm tactics they have used (successfully) to keep other certifying agencies out of what they feel is "their turf". But even if this is correct I lean towards the view that steel cylinders are over-engineered to the point where the changes in the tank caused by this practice is so small that it becomes negligible. I believe we would see much more systemic hydro failures if this were a legitimate issue. If my tanks start failing hydro I may become a believe but for now I think this is mostly bunk.

As the tank goes I agree with you. I know of nothing thta PSI is doing to strongarm others from playing the game. In reality in a way it is their turf. they were a team of one when this started. because of the thorough processes they trained on they were recognized by the feds to be the ones that are doing it right. Not to say that they do not push things past actual requirements but they set the standard for max compliance in the industry where no one else would. now since other agencies have wanted their piece of the pie, why is it a problem when the feds say if our guy is not broke why change??? The only difference is that the feds have said that with a very few tanks PSI is the only ones that can be allowed inspect them and provide a document that has standing. I have had problems in the past getting updated training material from PSI because its release is held up until they can get it copywrited to prevent other agencies steeling their material and relabeling it with their name. Is it wrong that PSI should maintain a legal staff to research the cfr's just to have another agency to take it without doing the research them selves. That is theft of services in my book. theft of PSI's work results. No different than taking a CD and burning copies of it to sell . And the other agencies are selling PSI's work by taking the student books and updating their own courses.

I also do not consider PSI being a bully when they are consulted about a tank issue and that position results in the conviction of a shop that failed to be in compliance. That is no differrent than having a medical expert testify on a malpractice case.

Psi is not a safety organization it is a litigation protection agency. follow their standards and you are safe from conviction. Now a shop fills a tank and one goes off and a life is lost. PSI comes in and testifies the tank being filled was in the same space contrary to CFR's that the fill station is in and the jury says guilty. That is not bullying.

I know of nothing thta PSI is doing to strongarm others from playing the game. In reality in a way it is their turf.

I’m not going to get into details other than to say I’ve experienced first hand scare tactics & trashing of competition that I find distasteful. Just because you’re first at something doesn’t mean others aren’t allowed to enter your market and compete. Compete by being better not by pressure & fear. Enough said about that.

Back
Top Bottom