What do you all do when it's too cold to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No offense but that ain't winter. Our water temps are in the 40's and even into the 30's in the summer.

Gary

None taken. I'm with you 100%. I wouldn't let the water temperature deter me. I'd find a way. But that is some cold water.

Since This in in the KPP area, I feel that I'm qualified to answer.

I dive, just not as often. I usually take a FL springs trip in Jan, it's not that expensive. Last winter, I also did a couple of days of diving at Pennyroyal (S/W Kentucky). Granted those were done in drysuits.

The quarry dives were different. It's a good time to explore parts of the quarry that you normally don't spend a lot of time in. In Feb the surface was 44deg and at 100' it was 42deg. Other than watch your no deco limits and gas supply, you might as well check out the deeper areas. You can't tell the difference in the temp shallow or deep.

Well, really those temps aren't as bad as I thought they would be. We had 45deg at Gilboa at 65' a few weeks ago. The surface intervals would stink though :wink:

The dive group I belong to is going to Ginnie SPrings, in Feb...don't know if I can go yet or not though. I can hope...

Well, really those temps aren't as bad as I thought they would be. We had 45deg at Gilboa at 65' a few weeks ago. The surface intervals would stink though :wink:

The dive group I belong to is going to Ginnie SPrings, in Feb...don't know if I can go yet or not though. I can hope...

Keep in touch about that trip. I took Cavern training at Ginnie. I might tag along if there are some other KY folks there.

See, that's the problem. This is Halloween weekend so my son has plans already and only wish I could dive during the week....lucky bum :tongue:

Thank you for the offer though.

Just so much going on now with holidays coming up...the next weekend I have free is like the Nov 13th/14th and it could be 70 or it could be 35. I'm moving back to FL or the USVI lol.

Not to mention, Joe is kind of irking me with his attitude this season. We only went once this year and just way too many floaters and they were not swimming safely.

Elonna,

The offer is still there if you want to run out Sat morning and join us. I'm not sure when I'lll be back out there after next week. It really depends on if I have any more students this fall. I agree, Joe is a whole different problem and I would rather go somewhere else to dive. At least this time of year there won't be any swimmers.

The bottom of Pennyroyal never gets above 44deg or below 42. We deep dive it in the summer and almost have heat stroke by the time we get in the water. In some ways, it's better when the surface temp is close to the bottom temp.

As for surface intervals, one of the winter dives last year, we designated the ladies changing room as the warm place (thanks to tstormdiver on here). She brought a propane heater and we kept that room pretty warm. I can truthfully say that I was never miserable cold. We also filled our hoods and gloves with heated water before putting them on. It wasn't that bad and it gives you your water fix. Would I have rather been a few hundred miles south? HELL YES, but it was still good diving and I never got miserable cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom