What do you consider basic spearfishing gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a spearfishing trip I usually take 2 guns, 3 shafts for each gun, powerhead mounted to each gun(not on the shaft but on the muzzle of the gun), extra bullets, a couple of ice picks, large tank 119 or 130, with H-valve and a 40cf pony, +1 on the akona kevlar gloves, I don't carry a stringer. I usually go for larger fish so it is shoot one and go to the surface before the sharks get there.

I have most of it, though I will be picking up a lift bag, but what are PPD's?? not sure I am familiar with that one..

Thanks for all the great advice..

Ray Odor Spearfishing

PPD (Personal Protection Device), the more economical version of a Powerhead in the event you run into a tax collecter. I have the .223 version which, thankfully, haven't had to use. Beware though, there are lots of people on here and in the water who are very sensitive to the user or even mention of any type PPD or PowerHead.

Ray Odor Spearfishing

PPD (Personal Protection Device), the more economical version of a Powerhead in the event you run into a tax collecter. I have the .223 version which, thankfully, haven't had to use. Beware though, there are lots of people on here and in the water who are very sensitive to the user or even mention of any type PPD or PowerHead.

I too use a .223 powerhead. I've used it 2x on bulls that got a little too friendly and it works. Little to no recoil and it won't leave you with a concussion.

I've had one Bull get extremely close and another buddy (unREEFined) who the shark got even more personal with. That was the only time I've really thought I needed one, but all turned out well in the end.. I like to think that I wouldn't use mine unless it really could be a life or death situation. Plus, (to anyone interested in PPD's or powerheads) you have to consider that a bullet, firing underwater, will fragment when fired and you need to make sure there is nobody within a 60 degree angle of where the bullet is being fired from. Also, a good coat of waterproof nail polish is good for waterproofing the rounds.

+1 on the nail polish. I use just the clear polish and apply it generously around where the bullet meets the brass and where the primer is.

Your gun is far from basic, but here is our original basic setup(the lobster gear and catch bags are incase we get lucky for lobster while spearing too

basic Speargun, mask, snorkel, fins, dive knife, catch bag, cooler, ice, fish ID on boat, lobster gauge on speargun and measurements down gun for fish we commonly get.

Now we have fish stringer, reel, lift bag, getting ready to get extra shaft for powerhead and maby in a couple years a sharkshield added to everything

If your goal is to eat what you catch, learn to love the fish.

I find it ironic when spearos brag about eating what they shoot; but at the end of the day, they just throw away 75% of the fish they caught.

Learning to fillet a fish takes time and properly maintained knives. Use common sense when deciding to fillet a fish. For example: a skinny flounder, even if legal it would end up wasted.

Instead of filleting every thing, take a chance just taking the guts and the gills out. Place the whole fish on the grill (or an oven)and you'll be surprised on the result. No need to smother it with a million different things. Fresh fish taste great.

Remember that throats and cheeks of grouper, snapper, cobia, and similar are just delicious. Yes, it does have bones to deal with, but so are chicken wings.

Making a soup with the head of a big fish is just heaven, if you can't deal with the concept then place the head in a cloth mesh and cook it like that. The magnificent flavor will stay and you can easily remove the head bones by just removing the mesh bag. Heads are also perfect to put in traps for stone crabs, and other tasty creatures. Check the local laws.

Another alternative to filleting a big fish (again grouper or similar), just cut the whole 2 sides from the main skeleton and broil them with the skin on. You don't have to eat it, but it will keep it moist and tasty.
Also just scaling and cutting 1 or 1.5 inch chunks will give you perfect steaks where the skin holds the meat together for cooking and the bone is limited to one piece in the middle.

Unless you clean your fish by a shallow marsh, discarding a huge fish skeleton with the head attached goes to waste in the garbage or to pollute marinas and canals. If nothing else cut it in smaller pieces before throwing back in the water (don't use the nice fillet knife for that).

About those measuring marks on your gun. First you have to kill the fish before measuring it. Kill and Release kinda defeats the purpose don't you think? If it don't have a WOW factor don't shoot!

any gloves work i buy mine a home depo. you can spend $ 50 at the dive shop for "Dive gloves" or 7 for good fitted work gloves.

Mechanic's gloves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom