What do you do about friction blisters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PBcatfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Regardless of which full-foot fins I wear, if I dive for more than a couple of hours, I get blisters on the tops of the same two toes. I know that I can go to booties and different fins, but (other than socks) what can I do to prevent blisters with the full-foot fins?

I was thinking that something along the lines of finger cots might be an option. Has anybody tried that?

Other options?

Waterproof tape - any drugstore has it. Comes in different widths, just wrap the toe before going in the water- not too tight.

Athletic Tape. The regular Coach brand tape should stick fine underwater if you wrap it around so it sticks back to itself. If not, there are waterproof versions.

Vaseline. Seriously, that can make a big difference. If that doesn't work well enough, a pair of thin nylon dress socks can make a big difference. If neither of those work, then possibly a larger pair of fins along with a 3 mm neoprene sock.

Thank you guys. I'll try the tape first.

Consider the lycra socks. They do two things. 1) Prevents fins blisters over your entire foot 2) Makes it so much easier to slide into your wetsuit. You feet just slip in and out of your suit. Especially useful for 5mm suits or thicker.

As many of you know, I'm a huge proponent of lycra socks but our friend didn't want socks as a suggestion.

Many liveaboard divers use silver duct tape to avoid blisters
S
At least until I turn them onto the lycra socks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom