what do YOU do with your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm back into diving after many years away. Years ago I would go shore diving and my car key was just a flat piece of brass. I just clipped it to a D-ring and down I went.
Now my car key has an electronic chip inside and the key fob has a bunch of buttons. Those magnetic boxes aren't really big enough and are kind of obvious.
I'll be diving solo so I'm on my own to figure this out.
What are some of the ideas you shore divers out there have come up with?
Thanks.
There are many threads on this since almost everyone has the damn "magnetic key" problem. I left mine on the windshield a few years ago in FL and spent like $250US to get a copy (I always have a spare with me in my pocket).
My method while diving is-- Here in Nova Scotia I put it in a ziplock bag and hide it under a flat rock (one that I keep in the car). There are many rocks around, so no one would know it's there.
In the populated spots I dive in the U.S. I do the same thing, or I may stuff the ziplock into some weeds, or bury it in the ground/sand. But, I make sure no one in metro Connecticut is watching me (no offense CTRich). I do use the metallic key holder if the spare key fits in there, and put it in the wheel well.
There are different lock/alarm systems with new cars these days. I base my ideas on the "old" system where a metal key will unlock the door but will set off the alarm.
I would never take an electronic key on a dive--not in a drysuit (if I owned one), in one of the various "dry" boxes you can buy these days. Not a $300 key.

Scuba Pro divers egg

Yeah, if the car didn't come with a basic key I just get one cut

full.jpg

and stash it in my first stage

full.jpg

To be fair - always at Florida state or county parks and an 04 Camry:)

Camry is popular for thieves. Funny that some of the 'most stolen car' lists that include model year info, the 1991 Camry is in the top 10. Even as recently as 2018. I wonder what makes the '91 so special.

Around where I live, they break into all years/makes/models searching for stuff of value, including loose change and personal documents for ID theft. My neighbor was jet-skiing on the river one weekday morning. The criminal got into his car, took his garage door opener and went to his house straight away. They stole his wife's car and a trunk-load of tools right out of his garage while he splashed around in the water.

Cars.com:

Here is the full list of the top 10 most stolen cars in 2017:

10. Chevrolet Impala; 9,487
9. GMC full-size pickup truck; 10,865
8. Dodge full-size pickup; 12,004
7. Toyota Corolla; 12,337
6. Nissan Altima; 13,358
5. Toyota Camry; 17,278
4. Chevrolet full-size pickup; 30,058
3. Ford full-size pickup; 35,105
2. Honda Accord; 43,764
1. Honda Civic; 45,062

Some additional frustrations: My car has traditional key holes, but they are hidden under the handle in a little secret covered hole that is not convenient or easy to access. I don't think I can lock the key fob in the car. The car won't let me.

I have used a hollowed out 4 cell dive light that I put in a secure pocket

Some additional frustrations: My car has traditional key holes, but they are hidden under the handle in a little secret covered hole that is not convenient or easy to access. I don't think I can lock the key fob in the car. The car won't let me.

My problem is using the mechanical key on the LR causes the car alarm to go off. Not a big issue but annoying. It's simpler just to use the key safe.

I have seen people use the trailer hitch receiver on their vehicle. When the hitch bar is not attached, there is usually a rubber or some other type of cover over the receiver. Pop cover off, put key in, and pop cover back on. Unless someone saw you put the key in the hitch receiver, they probably wouldn't look there.

I usually put my keys on the front bumper, behind the licence plate. Out of sight, and another place someone would probably not look. On my previous vehicle, a Chev Colorado, I could hang them on a spring, behind the tire, and well out of sight.

Divegoose

I had a non-electronic key made for my car and just carry it in with me - it won't start the car but will open the doors and I leave my regular keys hidden in there.
One thing to note about this method is that depending on how you lock the car or how your alarm is set up, it will go off when you open the door with the non-electronic key and you then need to hit the appropriate button on the regular key.
+1, I always drive my buddy the dive site and put the key arounnd my neck on a string under my wetsuit. It makes my buddy very attentive to my safety

Back
Top Bottom