what do YOU do with your car keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an answer that works for almost all cars. get a simple chip key cut and coded to your car. By simple-no fancy pushbutton door opening etc. The 'secret" with Pushbutton start is that you push the key head into the starter button and the car will start. being a fully sealed in chip you treat it like your old fashioned brass keys. -This applies to cars Im experienced with being Jap made cars.--Im a car dealer so have a fair few we have done this to

Now my car key has an electronic chip inside and the key fob has a bunch of buttons.

Stick it in a wheel well when no one is looking. Been doing that for decades, not a problem :)

I just got a new Rogue with keyless doors and ignition so this thread is well timed. After reading some of the comments I experimented with my fob. Although I can't lock the fob in the car with the button on the door, it is possible to lock it using the hidden key. The key can then be attached to a d-ring. One additional thing I discovered, aluminum foil works well as a Faraday cage. I may use the foil as well just to stop the communication between the car and remote, which apparently drains the remote battery.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned - but I'm actually currently in the process of getting a new key cut that will open the door to my Jeep, and the glove box. But won't come with the chips required to start the ignition. The key is just metal, and will be fine underwater in my wetsuit (I wear trunks underneath with a pocket). I'll just throw my regular set of keys in the glove box, and lock it.

There is an answer that works for almost all cars. get a simple chip key cut and coded to your car. By simple-no fancy pushbutton door opening etc. The 'secret" with Pushbutton start is that you push the key head into the starter button and the car will start. being a fully sealed in chip you treat it like your old fashioned brass keys. -This applies to cars Im experienced with being Jap made cars.--Im a car dealer so have a fair few we have done this to

Definitely not most cars in the USA. Possibly a few years ago. Most new cars here do not have an option for a 'chip key' anymore. In fact, many of the new cars here have hidden mechanical door keyholes that are very difficult and cumbersome to access. You have do get down on your knees and remove handle covers to even see the keyhole. Not a reasonable solution, even if you cut a separate mechanical key.

The factory FOB has a backup system (passive no-battery proximity feature). You have to find the secret spot in the glove box or center console storage area where you place the dead FOB and then the push button will work. But there is no 'chip key' alternative to the FOB.

check this out:

Is it possible that cars are sold with different features or systems in NZ? Maybe you have something we don't get with left hand drive? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom