What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks like a good solution. What is it called? (trying to find one on Amazon)

Nevermind.

Found it.

Just get one of these, below, and clip it to one of the D-rings. Then push snap the hose end of your 2nd-stage regulator to one of the 2 clips. When you are ready to use the regulator, just pull it off the clip.

I use 2 of these, clip each of them to the left & right BCD waist pocket D-rings. The left side is for my yellow hose Octo (yes I put my Octo to the left side of me because it’ll be easier to donate it face to face with my buddy, as the hose would form a nice half circle, instead of an “S” shape). The right side is for clipping my primary (2nd stage regulator) while gearing up, so I don’t need to look for it when I’m ready to use it. So, left side for octo, right side for primary. No things is dangling while diving.

View attachment 657651

sounds like we received similar ow training haha NASDS ??

Reactions: Dan
That looks like a good solution. What is it called? (trying to find one on Amazon)

Nevermind.

Found it.
No offense to Dan, but those clips are not good. They are very difficult to operate with one hand which is important. The recess for the gate will catch on a D ring. You want quick and easy access to a clipped off reg.

The simplest solution I have found are these hose retainers. For a buck a piece and add a nice small 316 stainless steel bolt snap you can't go wrong. It will break away if need be, yet it's very secure, with the ease of one handed use that comes with a bolt snap.

Hose Clip Retainer
Screenshot_20210507-134558_DuckDuckGo.jpg

As for the snorkel. If you're not doing tough shore dives, just buy a folding roll up snorkel and stick it in a pocket in case you get lost at sea. Outside of shore diving no one keeps a dangling snorkel on their head while diving.

Apparently I have to expand on my earlier (now gone) comment...

I use a bungee or silicon necklace to hold a dropped second stage regulator just under my chin. Primarily so it's easily findable after wobbly walking down the shore or across the boat... doesn't swing behind me etc. The bungee is minimal and holds tighter, you can also make one yourself.

Scuba_Octopus_Necklace_OH-100_4.jpg
halcyon-necklace-for-backup-regulator.jpg

My primary is bungeed around the back of my head. I started doing this years ago when I started diving solo, the idea being if I ever did go unconscious for any reason it may be held in my mouth enough for me to breathe until (?) I became conscious. Maybe good also if I got OxTox convulsions, though if that deep (below 30') I'd probably be with a buddy. The idea being a poor man's full face mask.
I would think the bungee idea is good when with a buddy also in case of separation or the time it takes for the buddy to realize you are unconscious. I haven't heard of any others anywhere doing this.

When I am surface swimming using snorkel (or nothing) the bungee will hold the mouthpiece right at my lips so no dangling.

Apparently I have to expand on my earlier (now gone) comment...

I use a bungee or silicon necklace to hold a dropped second stage regulator just under my chin. Primarily so it's easily findable after wobbly walking down the shore or across the boat... doesn't swing behind me etc. The bungee is minimal and holds tighter, you can also make one yourself.

View attachment 657679 View attachment 657680
That will work except most divers here on Scuba Board will ultimately end up converting to primary donate and necklacing their octo for themselves. If you're not a primary donater then necklacing certainly would be the most logical way to setup your rig.

When snorkeling, my primary is clipped off to right shoulder D ring, and secondary is bungeed around my neck.

I use a snorkel on almost every dive, if I am just snorkeling I hook my primary to a d ring on my bcd. and yes I also use my snorkel on a boat dive, it helps me to prepare and get an eye on what we're diving on, water clarity is an issue in the northeast. and why do I want to use my gas when air is free at the surface

No offense to Dan, but those clips are not good. They are very difficult to operate with one hand which is important. The recess for the gate will catch on a D ring. You want quick and easy access to a clipped off reg.

The simplest solution I have found are these hose retainers. For a buck a piece and add a nice small 316 stainless steel bolt snap you can't go wrong. It will break away if need be, yet it very secure with the ease of one handed use that comes with a bolt snap.

Hose Clip Retainer
View attachment 657674

As for the snorkel. If you're not doing tough shore dives, just buy a folding roll up snorkel and stick it in a pocket in case you get lost at sea. Outside of shore diving no one keeps a dangling snorkel on their head while diving.

It takes practice. I just hold my primary hose with my right palm, pinky & ring fingers, reach down to my right waist pocket D-ring, sandwich the hose clip between my index & middle fingers, press the primary hose down into the clip hose with my thumb. You’ll feel it when the hose snapping into the clip hose. All is done without looking down to the clip. Just reach down and do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom