What do you drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ram 2500 with a Cummins Diesel. I use it to work on my rental property, tow and haul for our farm, tow our trailer at the shop (around 9k pounds), and to tow for my son's scout troop (around 5k pounds). The cap isn't terribly great looking, but I can lock my stuff up and it is a nice place to sleep on campouts or when hunting. The diesel upgrade ain't cheap, but it depreciates better than a gasser, and it gets great economy on the interstate (around 24 mpg, at 70 mph straight and level, no towing). I like it. It's basic, diesel engine and satellite radio and I am happy.......

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 79
IMG_20180907_210318.jpg
The dive truck
IMG_20140809_180823.jpg

The dive trailer. With the old dive truck.

During our cave 1 in Mexico training we used a Nissan March (Micra) which was hilarious. Parking it in between all the pick-up trucks and vans, people were looking at us all the time. The 3 of us would start unpacking it and people compared it to a Harry Potter car; stuff magically kept on emerging from it.
Back home I drive a Volvo V70 D5. I put in a plastic liner to protect against the wet dive gear. Enough space for us and a very nice smooth comfortable ride.

Attachments

• IMG-20200317-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200317-WA0016.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 65
2019 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 four door full size cab with a 5’ bed. It can handle 4 divers and their equipment. I also use it to carry my kayak and whatever I salvage while diving.

Skoda Roomster. The smallest, biggest car ever. The designer who drew the car had to have been drunk out of his mind, but the dude who did the interiors is a genius. Comfortably fits two (female) GUET2 OC divers bringing all gas on a longweekend trip, or one CCR Cave long week trips with camping gear suited for everything from snow to sunny summer. It runs on 3,9L/100Km. (Which basically translates to love and air...) Seats can be moved, folded, or taken out depending on needs. It will on a good day, down hill do 183km/hr, but is most comfortable between 80 and 130. Mine is atm running slightly old, and it is worrying me. I have tried renting cars to check out potential for switching cars, but have yet to find a cheaper run, with equal city practicalities, bigger trunk, more practical trunk, and better dive car.
image169.ashx.jpeg
skoda-roomster-varioflex.jpg

I have the choice of a Honda Accord or Chevy Silverado Extended Cab.
Depends on how many divers are going and the type of dives being done.
Nothing easier than gearing up on a tailgate, unless it’s a boat dive.
Gearing up out of a sunken trunk like my Accord is a PITA, especially with doubles. I use some blocks in the trunk to set the cylinders on to raise them up to bumper height. I can then sit on the bumper and gear up.

Being able to remove the seats is very nice. We had good fun with our Mazda 2 premiere for many years. I think it's a bit the same concept. Only problem were the seats. They were not comfortable for my 198cm tall body. No support on the legs and little support on the back. How are the seats of your Roomster?

My dive gear only goes to/from the airport. Just about anything will do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom