What do you drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2018 Dodge Journey. It works fine, until I bite the bullet and get a boat. Then will have to upgrade.

DW

Attachments

• 20190818_085753.jpg
    20190818_085753.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 20190921_124024.jpg
    20190921_124024.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 68
Started with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. Just sold it (had 163,000 miles and was still going strong) and bought the 2019 model. Back seats fold up to hold bins. Bins also fit in the bed of course but the real beauty is the in-bed trunk that holds our tanks nice and cozy.

I test drove one of those a month ago, really nice truck, and the storage under the bed looked perfect for dive gear, just wish it would have had a higher towing capacity to haul small boat.

We normally use my wife's '03 Honda Pilot. We've had gear for and 3 people in it with plenty of room to spare and without the vehicle even noticing all the weight. And when I say gear, I'm talking all gear including 2 tanks for each of us.

I also have a '99 Dodge Dakota that I have used but since I don't have a bed cover on it, I only use it if my wife can't go with me and she'll need her car.

Started with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. Just sold it (had 163,000 miles and was still going strong) and bought the 2019 model. Back seats fold up to hold bins. Bins also fit in the bed of course but the real beauty is the in-bed trunk that holds our tanks nice and cozy.

The Honda Ridgeline is a great vehicle for scuba. I was able to pack two HP120’s, two HP100’s, two HP80’s, two 19CF and a 30CF tank in the in-bed trunk of the 2007 and still had room for shoes, fins and lobsters loops. Pretty amazing. The tailgate lays down like a standard pickup, but can also swing to the side making the trunk easily accessible.

2013 Mazda CX-5 and a 2016 Honda Pilot. Both would haul enough gear for two of us but we don’t dive locally. The Pilot hauls all the luggage we need for a dive trip without having to fold down any seats. We can get it all in the Mazda if we fold seats, but then we’re parking at the airport, not being dropped off. No room for a third person. Overall very happy with both of these cars.

Mazda 3 with the hatchback. I did pick it based on its utility in giving me a place to gear up for shore dives. The removable physical key inside the electronic fob is handy for shore dives too. It is a bit tight in there with two sets of rec dive gear, and it's definitely too small for 3. But my husband doesn't dive, so I mostly drive to the boat or dive site by myself, and this is a great little car for that. I've averaged a little over 28 mpg in the year since I bought it.
That's funny, me too. We have a Honda Element which is a more traditional dive vehicle, with a split fold-down tailgate, no carpet to get wet, and lots of room for gear. But the gas mileage isn't that great (23 mpg or 10.25 L/100km), and it's not the most comfortable ride for long distances. So the hatchback it is. I've considered getting a tarp and some poles so I can extend the shade over the gearing up area. Ideal for two divers, we keep the wet, heavy stuff in the trunk, dry stuff in the back seat. I have a very light foot but we are averaging almost 33 mpg / 7.25 L/100km. I hope its eventual replacement will be self-driving and electric, but I will miss the manual transmission. That thing is just plain fun to drive!

My buddies also have contrasting vehicles, one has a crew-cab Ford F150, the other has a Prius!

image1.JPG

scuba gear for 3 (with 8-10 tanks) and some more stuff... actually, this time we are carrying less. The cargo hitch basket isn't on.

(a week in Tobermory)

I have a civic now a little small for diving. My old honda element was a great dive vechile.

Subaru Outback with some BFG all terrain TAs thrown on for snow, dirt and water excursions. With the Thule rooftop box, I've got tons of storage for stinky stuff up top and other stuff in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_20200301_110620_01.jpg
    IMG_20200301_110620_01.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 70
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom