What do you guys think about....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
a thread for regulator rebuilding "cross-reference" tips (e.g. O-ring sizes to the common dash equivalents, what's worked and not for us, etc) - as a means of trying to find someone who will start making the "hard to get" parts for those of us out there.

I speak of things like seats, for example.

Yeah, the market would be somewhat limited. But just like brake pads, there's nothing illegal about making a piece of nylon that just happens to be formed into the shape of a seat, or a piece of rubber that is the LP seat in a 2nd stage.

Look, even if sold for $1 each, the profit margin on these things would be enormous. Figure that there's a nickel worth of material and labor in quantity - tops - in these things. So at a $1 or even $3-5 price for a HP seat you've got a margin of 5,000% or more!

Plus, we can come up with some cross-reference items. For example, SOME SP regs can use each other's internal parts - particular piston rings and seats - and some CANNOT. Knowing which works and which doesn't can keep you in a working reg when you would otherwise be without.

Destroying the dive-shop "exclusivity" club on repairs and maintenance will go a long way towards forcing open the market. Right now most dive shops see the "no sale" policy on parts as a means of keeping you under their thumb and forcing you back to them for service - and they play the 'life support' angle for all its worth.

I'm here to tell 'ya, having torn down a bunch of regs for myself, and having just finished servicing all the ones I own, that its no more difficult than replacing the washers in a faucet, or installing a light socket on a lamp. Yeah, there are tools that make it easier to do withotu damaging things, but even those are not that expensive.

The stories of people having to put up with crap in order to get their gear serviced, being lambasted for buying somewhere other than the local shop (and/or being "treated" to an extra charge for doing so), etc - are commonplace.

Then there are people - including one on this list - that are selling O-rings for FIFTY CENTS EACH. Folks, those O-rings are a NICKLE or less apiece - I know, I have a box full of them. Air-oil on the web has 70 duro EPDM (oxygen compatable and great for MOST replacements) in common sizes for about that price, and will ship a minimum order of $5.00 worth. For $20 you can have a BOX full of O-rings in all the common sizes and not need to buy any for YEARS.

This kind of profiteering needs to be cut off at the knees, especially when its generated by claims of doom and gloom if you don't play the game.

There is nothing complicated about doing this yourself, and nothing particularly dangerous either. Test in a pool when you're done - if you screwed up it'll either leak or not breathe right - it really is that simple.

What 'yall think?

If you have cross-reference numbers that have worked FOR YOU, I say post 'em here.

I am developing one for the Mk20/25/10, and have virtually all of them.

I am doing the same the seconds I own......

The one you'er talking about is NOT complete in any way, shape or form.

It won't have as many models, but it will be EVERY O-ring in each reg that I can cross-reference - which is essentially all of them.

For those I post, it will also only be for those that I have (1) personally used as replacements, and (2) have worked ok.

While that's not an official endorsement it sure as heck beats sticking in something based on nothing more than matching against a chart!

While admitting I (like most) have more to learn, I like the idea of knowing what is going on inside my equipment and knowing what, when and why.
Information is good, while it could be used by someone in a stupid way, things like that happen everyday.

I vote YES! Spead the knowledge around, it will make for better divers and better maintained equipment.

Back
Top Bottom