What do you guys think of this reel?

Overkill?

• yes

Votes: 15 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For reck penetration, you are on the short side with 50m.

Most recreational wreck certifications limit penetration to 40m/130ft linear max from the surface. i.e. 10m down, 30m inside... Or 25m down, 15m inside.

Explain how 50m is insufficient, given those restrictions??

I recently bought this mcmahon compact smb dive reel. It cost me 60 euros (not a very good price, they usually go for 46-50).
I bought it from my instructor because I didn't feel like going through all the hassle of ordering, credit cards and shipping.
It has 50 m of line and im just planning on using it to launch my smb or as guideline during low visibility dives... was it an overkill? My instructors kept warning me that you can get tangled in a spool.. so I decided to go with a reel.
I was also wondering if it fits the standards of wreck penetration diving.

Use the DSMB reel and line for it's designed function. If you want to lay line, buy a line and reel for the job.

May people carry DSMBs, but haven't practised deploying them since their initial training. It's a skill that needs refreshing on a regular basis. No different than deploying an octopus or other rescue skills.

Reels can and do tangle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom