what do you half to say about the oceanic slimline?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLWeek

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a fairly new diver and was wandering what everyone thaught of the oceanic slimline. there only $49.99 on leisure pro and I don't have all that much $ to spend seeing as I am only 17 and have no job.

So..will this octo do the trick?

Quick answer: YES. Its just a secondary, IMO, you dont need anything fancy. For recreational diving, that will be fine. It's a good reg, and works fine, easy to maintain. We've been using them for years, and they have been good...

I personally would have to say NO. Think about when you are going to need your octopus. Most likely this will be an emergency situation, and depending on your configuration, you will be breathing off of this yourself, or a potentially paniced dive buddy will be breathing off of it. I couldn't imagine using that thing as a bungied backup myself, but that may just be me. I am not saying buy the most expensive piece of equipment out there, because there is great equipment for less. I would recommend that you stay away from any type of "slim, new, slick, improved" item that looks cool or streamlined, save your money for a little bit longer, and get a decent reg that you won't need to replace later on.

Just my .02 worth.

Ok, this guy is a fairly new diver, and I dont think he even knows about bungied backups... As far as a secondary goes, the slimline has been around for a while, and works well. I have tried them, have you???

When you get into more advanced diving, you may want to go to a slightly higher performing second stage and put a necklace of surgical tubing around it to wear around your neck. That way its just under your chin if you need to donate your primary to an out of air buddy.

I don think you need to worry about this right now. Get the slimline, it will work for you for many years, and then when you are ready to make the jump to the next level, you can... and upgrade some equipment at the same time.

I understand that he is a fairly new diver, and may have no idea about bungied backups. However, why does that mandate that he buy a piece of equipment that he can't grow with? All I am saying is that if you get a little bit better reg, you will save yourself from completely having to buy a new one if/when you decide to move into other realms of diving.

for a while. It was downgraded to my spare equip dept. when I purchased my Apeks setup

The Slimline isn't the easiest breather I've ever used, but it can serve as a functionable backup. It is very compact and the hockey puck design allows it to lie comfortably on the chest when worn with a bungee.

and while i agree that it does not breathe as effortless as some others it definitely does the trick. i have also used it on very sandy shore dives and never had a problem with it. it seems very reliable. so if you are short on cash it's a functional choice.

Im not to worried about how easy/hard the thing is to breath becuase it will only be used for a as long as it takes to get back up. if I am wrong by saying this pleas correct me.

Also...does anyone have a pic of the bungee set up? Ive never heard of it.

Thanks

snipes287 once bubbled...
there only $49.99 on leisure pro and I don't have all that much $ to spend seeing as I am only 17 and have no job.

This is why i recommended it to him, not to mention the fact that I used one for a while, and I thought they did a nice job as a secondary. FOR A BEGINNER... And, who knows how long he will be there... When he has a job, and gets older, he can buy some DS-4's and APEKS 50's...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom