What do you keep spares of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you keep spares of for tech diving vs rec?

As stated above, everything.

I have seperate sets for Rec and tech. But doubles, triples, and sometimes quadruples of stuff. Enough regulators for you and all your friends.

Extra:
Analyzers
Drysuits
Masks
Fins
Computers
Lights
Parts kits for regs
Reels
Line
Bags
Batteries
Wings
Backplates
Tanks
The list is forever long, if I own it chances are I have 2/3/4 of that item.

Where the addiction starts is when you start building freshwater/saltwater only gear. I have tanks that only see fresh, as well as regulators that will only see fresh. Also cold vs warm water. I do not like moving regs or Hoses for different dives. Or changing weights for the types of tanks I am using. So I have complete setups for fresh and salt. And multiples of those sets. So I have accumulated a massive amount of gear over the years. It's a problem.

So I have accumulated a massive amount of gear over the years. It's a problem.

Maybe the better question is what spares are must haves/should haves ;-)

At the moment I dont have any. Only regulators kind of qualify, because eg having 2 stage regs means I have 1 spare if I’m on a 1 stage dive but no spare on a 2 stage dive ;-)

Having said that, my next investment as far as spares are concerned is definitely a second drysuit. Everything else can be easily borrowed/swapped/rented, but nothing is worse than an ill fitting drysuit. Well maybe a leaking drysuit in cold water ...

Edit: of course there is a backup mask, multiple spools etc, but in a cave that’d just be par for the course (minimum gear to start the dive) and not a “spare” per se

Maybe the better question is what spares are must haves/should haves ;-)

At the moment I dont have any. Only regulators kind of qualify, because eg having 2 stage regs means I have 1 spare if I’m on a 1 stage dive but no spare on a 2 stage dive ;-)

Having said that, my next investment as far as spares are concerned is definitely a second drysuit. Everything else can be easily borrowed/swapped/rented, but nothing is worse than an ill fitting drysuit. Well maybe a leaking drysuit in cold water ...

Edit: of course there is a backup mask, multiple spools etc, but in a cave that’d just be par for the course (minimum gear to start the dive) and not a “spare” per se

Good point on the bolded...

I keep multiples of everything.

Depends how easy buying a replacement is and how important not missing a dive is.

For me, parts are difficult to come by. So I stock my own backups. In a place like Florida, or anywhere with fast shipping I'd likely only have a couple orings spare and buy the rest as needed.

Cameron

Expanding on the above... while I dont have dedicated spares, I do try to maximize redundancy. E.g. all my regulators, for doubles and stages, are the same (eg Apeks DST first stages). So in case of an issue I can swap them around. Also means keeping less spare part kits, and easier servicing should the day come that I decide to do this by myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom