What do you look for in a dive knife?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got kinda tangled up in fishing line yesterday and was quite shocked at how ineffective the trilobite was. With thicker rope, cord etc it works great but in my experience fishing line not so much, shears work better.---------- Post added August 23rd, 2015 at 11:27 PM ----------Maybe my technique needs work. I pull line taut but the line seems to slide.---------- Post added August 23rd, 2015 at 11:27 PM ----------Oh and I find it woeful with wet webbing too.

If you could have a dive knife with everything you wanted what would it have?
Fixed or folding?
Long or short length blade?
Serrated - Full-length or partial-length?
Cutting edge on both sides of blade?
Line cutter in blade?
Tip - Blunt or pointed?
Hollow or solid handle?
Styling?
Connect to BC or strap to leg?
Lanyard/dummy cord hole?
Mirror, satin, or coated finish?

I'm sure I'm missing something so feel free to add more.

Oh... I'm one of those weird knife guys (see my signature), so you'll hardly get an objective, reasoned reply from me... but if you want to carry a real knife (or three) in addition to the dedicated line cutter (Trilobite or similar):

1. Fixed blade. I love folders on dry land for every day use since they are easy to carry in a pocket. But a good fixed blade knife is stronger and easier to deploy.
2. I carry a short, blunt, serrated knife on my BP/W waist strap where I can reach it with either hand. I also carry a 5 1/2" bladed Titanium blade, full tang, dagger shaped, 1/2 serrated on one side, plane edge on the other, with line cutter on the back of the blade just past the serrations; this blade kept VERY sharp (I said I was a knife guy, right?). This is on my inner left calf. Tradition dies hard, I'm an older diver who used to spear fish. And sometimes I do really carry 3 knives.... I know, you don't need to say it :wink: .... when I carry the third knife it is on my left forearm, and it is a small spearfishing blade, stiletto shaped, double edged, also very sharp.

Blade material: On land I like good quality stainless or high carbon steel. But in a salt water environment where I may not always treat my knives kindly after the dive I want high corrosion resistance and will sacrifice some edge holding, ease of sharpening and strength.

Best wishes.

LeadTurn_SD,

I found a 6" serrated knife on a dive.

Any tips on sharpening serrated knives ? - I'm ok with scandi style knives but no good at all with serrated.

A second question - I got rid of most of the rust/salt but there's some deep pitting. Any tips on removing deep pitting?

Yeah I thought the pitting would be a pain.

I have come across the Spyderco before - I have a preference for hand sharpening (it's a cathartic thing:) )Have you used DMT sharpening steels at all?

I've never tried the DMT sharpeners. I do have some Japanese stones, but they rarely get used. Sad to admit that I'm pretty lazy by nature and seem to use the Sharpmaker most often since it is fast and easy if I just need to touch up a blade.

But you are right, using stones and hand sharpening is more of a "Zen" or meditative experience.

Best wishes.

Anyone consider using a ceramic knife? I was thinking of using a small paring knife in a webbing sheath. Too sharp? Anyone try one?

I've never seen a ceramic knife that was too sharp.

Ceramic knives will hold a fine edge for use in the kitchen, but they are not tough enough to use as a dive tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where I dive there is "a lot" of discarded line and sometimes nets. I found the knife didn't quite cut it, pun unintended. Until I came across the Trilobite I used EMT shears which work much better than a knife. I now carry shears and the Trilobite. If hunting and gathering I guess a knife might be useful but they are of no use to me. Of course YMMV.

Cutters like the trilobyte has a limit to the thickness of rope it can cut. A knife may not be as efficient for thinner line, but it'll cut rope of any thickness. Best to have a knife on you too.

And yes the need for cutting thicker rope has happened. Heard someone telling his story on a dive boat, but can't remember the details. But the fact stuck.

My idea of the perfect dive knife is this (well, almost perfect. Perfect would come with black handles and a lower hanging sheath):
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=824

small, unobtrusive, easy to reach, sharp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom