What do you look for in a vacation rental?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'd like to set up my Curacao vacation property to better suit the needs of the diving community (I am also not yet a diver but hope to be soon) and I was wondering what sorts of amenities would you like to have in the place where you are staying? Are scuba specific drying racks for equipment of value, large tubs to clean gear in, outdoor showers, specialized equipment to carry\move your scuba gear from home to dive site?

Do any of these things add to your experience when diving during your vacation.

Would appreciate any and all feedback from the community.

Thank You,

Fil

Quite frankly, when we are looking at condos or houses near dive locations, we look at the availability of good grocery stores and the cooking arrangement in the unit we are staying in.

AC, hot water, a comfy bed, clean.....and first week free to see if we want to return :)

what sorts of amenities would you like to have

Near grocery stores; people staying in places with kitchens often plan to cook to save money.

scuba specific drying racks for equipment of value

Good, if secure. A backyard picnic table thieves can steal off of, not so much.

large tubs to clean gear in

Nice, but depends on who they dive with (as such might have rinse tanks). How expensive is water, and do you want to run the risk of people dumping & refilling those rinse tanks daily or every other day?

outdoor showers

Nice perk for gear rinsing. Not something I'd go looking for.

specialized equipment to carry\move your scuba gear from home to dive site

Like a wheel barrow if there's a good house reef for shore diving? Otherwise, what do you have in mind?

Richard.

Wherever we go, I'm always looking for a sturdy hook or a bar, in a spot with some air circulation, to hang wetsuit hangers so a drying rack would be a nice amenity.

I'd like to set up my Curacao vacation property to better suit the needs of the diving community (I am also not yet a diver but hope to be soon) and I was wondering what sorts of amenities would you like to have in the place where you are staying? Are scuba specific drying racks for equipment of value, large tubs to clean gear in, outdoor showers, specialized equipment to carry\move your scuba gear from home to dive site?

Do any of these things add to your experience when diving during your vacation.

Would appreciate any and all feedback from the community.

Thank You,

Fil

Not a lot of personal items all over (sure you know that if you are smart enough to post this)

Hey I just listened to a Tim Ferris podcast about the success of AirBnB important things that don’t scale up) you might like

supina sheets (Costco)
Quality towels etc

Nice Coffee maker, not too much junk in the kitchen

PS i love latex mattresses

I had a place on Catalina Island I rented out and it was fun getting it set up

Books about local
Wildlife, binoculars, framed maps

Rinse tank/tub, and a drying rack in a secure location.

Voltage converters.

Pre arranged discounts for car rental diving etc.

Maps, recommendations for restaurants, books about the location.

Rooms with re configurable bedding, twins that can be pushed together or separated depending on guest needs.

For Curacao, where guests would be diving from shore, yes, you're on the right track with rinse tubs and drying racks.

More generally--and I can only speak for my wife and me--we look for a place with good cooking facilities and an outdoor area to eat and relax. That's probably a given for Curacao. By the way, our Number One irritant with rental unit kitchens is a dull or flimsy kitchen knife ("chef's knife"). A few times we have brought our own freshly-sharpened knife, and of course doing so guarantees the rental unit's knife will be okay. Ikea has knives that would be suited for a rental unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom