What do you provide?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK TY. It's an opportunity for you to answer in detail here where many will read your responses.

Hello SY,
From your question I’m assuming that you want to know if this scenario would be covered. In general, when filing a claim one needs to prove that he was medically ok to dive, and that there are no pre-existing conditions.
For detailed information I welcome you to read our programs description of coverage, available on our website at http://www.diveassure.com/new/usa/coverage.asp
Thank you and dive safe!
The DiveAssure team.
:hmmm: That has a discouraging tone to it...

Now I'm wondering why I even signed up for the DAN "Preferred" Membership if I have to purchase another policy for a trip and I'm not even referring to my "ear issues"

Sy

Well, these are good points, as I always take trip insurance for international travel in part for these reasons...

I do wish Dive Assure would publish more comprehensive answers, rather than just linking.

Now I'm wondering why I even signed up for the DAN "Preferred" Membership if I have to purchase another policy for a trip and I'm not even referring to my "ear issues"

Sy
Well, the DAN Preferred is excellent coverage available to all without a lot of loopholes at a low price, so you did not screw up. Still....

Y'all got me interested, so I looked into the Diamond plan. Using my info for a quote, the plan is $150 before I plug in Death and Cancelation/Interuption coverage...

dac36bf2.jpg

Next, adding Death coverage on a Single trip bumps it to $250...

4963c944.jpg

Then, adding $3,000 trip coverage and Multi trip both bumps it to $465. :11:

25ce9e19.jpg

Okay, well - no thanks. It looks like a viable alternative to DAN Preferred plus Trip Ins, the later of which I buy elsewhere, but not an appealing one. See how it fits your needs, tho - except it is not offered to residents of many states and countries.

Finally, I applied the Acid Test For Quality - is it licensed in New York state, long known for its tough insurance laws. Texas still has crappy Ins laws, btw; almost everyone can sell here....

02ead717.jpg

Nope!

Okay so there are possible reasons for that, other than just overall quality, but I'm still bothered by the "prove you had no pre-existing conditions" clause mentioned above.

thanks!

Dandy,

When you say "the DAN Preferred is excellent coverage available to all without a lot of loopholes at a low price" I'm not sure what you are referring to.

It seems to me filled with loopholes.

Sy

Well, the DAN Preferred is excellent coverage available to all without a lot of loopholes at a low price, so you did not screw up. Still....

Y'all got me interested, so I looked into the Diamond plan. Using my info for a quote, the plan is $150 before I plug in Death and Cancelation/Interuption coverage...

dac36bf2.jpg

Next, adding Death coverage on a Single trip bumps it to $250...

4963c944.jpg

Then, adding $3,000 trip coverage and Multi trip both bumps it to $465. :11:

25ce9e19.jpg

Okay, well - no thanks. It looks like a viable alternative to DAN Preferred plus Trip Ins, the later of which I buy elsewhere, but not an appealing one. See how it fits your needs, tho - except it is not offered to residents of many states and countries.

Finally, I applied the Acid Test For Quality - is it licensed in New York state, long known for its tough insurance laws. Texas still has crappy Ins laws, btw; almost everyone can sell here....

02ead717.jpg

Nope!

Okay so there are possible reasons for that, other than just overall quality, but I'm still bothered by the "prove you had no pre-existing conditions" clause mentioned above.

thanks!

Dandy,

When you say "the DAN Preferred is excellent coverage available to all without a lot of loopholes at a low price" I'm not sure what you are referring to.

It seems to me filled with loopholes.

Sy
No argument here, haven't worked in that insurance field in a long time - out of practice. If it were true, tho - I think we'd see posts on how they didn't pay well. All I have seen is how good they pay. :wink:

You're almost my age, I guess the rates for NJ would be similar.

Edit: I ran the quote. Looks like same rates, but age doesn't matter? Looks like a good buy for a traveling dive pro maybe?

Sy

Sy- I was reading this thread and wonder if you are not confusing DAN and DiveAssure. All the responses in this thread are from DiveAssure and have not addressed any DAN coverages.

A few questions if I might:

1) Do you have a table for sample "Usual and Customary Charges" that I may link to?

2) Could you expand upon, "Expenses for medical services and supplies must be recommended by the attending Physician?" The syntax is fractured at best.

3) If I fly my own plane, single or multi-engine I am not covered, but if my companion flies it (assuming properly licensed) and it is multi-engine, I am covered. Correct?

4) When is loss of dive gear covered? My read is that it is only covered at the time of injury (e.g., not even during a subsequent rescue).

5) "In addition to the General Exclusions, the Insurer will not be liable for claims, under this section (F) Additional Coverage, directly or indirectly arising from any hazardous pursuit or occupation ..." What do you consider to be hazardous pursuits or occupations?

6) Could you give me an example of while performing research "under the auspices" as opposed to not "under the auspices" of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences, though in both cases following the guidelines of the AAUS?

7) You will not insure someone who has been diagnosed with depression, is stable, is taking medication, and has been cleared to dive by his or her physician?

Thanks.

Wow, I wish they'd respond to your questions Thal. I've got this insurance, lucky for me I've never had to put 'em to the test.

Wow, I wish they'd respond to your questions Thal. I've got this insurance, lucky for me I've never had to put 'em to the test.
I dunno? Maybe they haven't been back to look? Maybe you could send them an email with the thread link asking them to answer?

BTW, even if you insure elsewhere, I'd still suggest $29/year DAN membership - to support the fine organization and to obtain Travelers Assist.

I dunno? Maybe they haven't been back to look? Maybe you could send them an email with the thread link asking them to answer?

BTW, even if you insure elsewhere, I'd still suggest $29/year DAN membership - to support the fine organization and to obtain Travelers Assist.

Hi Don,

Overall, I'm not a big fan of DAN. It's been a while but I recall some big blow-ups of the top guys raking in money and some other political stuff going on.

Has all of that political crap been sorted out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom