What do you think about tagging Great White Sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottZeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
This is an email that I received this morning...

Perhaps you guys would like to weigh in, and I will send her a link to this thread! :)

I am doing a project for my 8th grade science class about tagging great white sharks. Could you please give me your opinon on this topic. Whether you agree or disagree and why.

Thank you so much and I look forward to your reply.

Megan

I think it's a worthwhile endeavor that will provide information which will ultimately benefit the sharks and provide us with a greater understanding of the species.

IF it can be done without excess pain and injury to the sharks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagging white sharks for research is important. Science knows very little about this species other than that their numbers are in decline along with most other sharks.

Having said that, I strongly disagree with the tactics used on the Nat Geo show "Shark Men". It looks like show business and testosterone masquerading as science.

A radio tag can be speared onto a white shark without even having to hook the fish. Bringing the animal on-board a ship to get blood and sperm samples and to drill screws into its fin to hold a gigantic radio beacon seems intrusive and no legitimate science has yet come from it.

First, I have no idea what the best tagging method is but having said that, I do believe tagging is just one of many important steps in understanding sharks and their behavior.

I never play tag with great whites... much too dangerous (especially if they are hungry... or annoyed).

Seriously... I was involved in a scientific expedition to tag great whites off Guadalupe Island back in 2005. The lead scientist was Dr. Michael Domeier of National Geographic/Shark Men "fame." At that time he was using lances to affix tags to the great whites by piercing them from a small boat as they swam by. It seemed to be nothing more than a minor irritant to the tagged sharks.

His current work as witnessed on National Geographic bothers me greatly. To use a large hook to catch the great whites, play them until they are exhausted, then raise them up on a platform where their massive body weight undoubtedly compresses the internal organs, attach a tag using bolts through holes drilled into the dorsal fin all concerns me. That the initial "study" was allowed in the Farallons where they should be protected concerns me. The impact on other longer term and less invasive studies there on great whites is also of concern.

I understand the desire to affix a more permanent tag to the shark for longer-term studies of their movement. The previous tags inserted via lance did not last as long as desired, but at least were far less invasive to the shark. There has been some interesting data gathered from this and other great white monitoring studies that will help us understand their life history. However, I think Domeier and the crew need to go back to the lab and consider altering the current procedures substantially.

I have only seen the first National Geographic documentary on this project, and not any of the "Shark Men" episodes. In the first one, the work seemed primarily centered around creating something interesting for the camera. Other than Domeier, the crew involved did not appear to have any significant background in shark research. Several were sport fishers (nothing wrong with an angler... just not the qualifications I'd look for if I were putting together an expedition to study sharks).

Dr. Michael Domeier stopped shark tagging with the SPOT system until they can re-devise a better material to affix the tag to the shark than the plastic they were using (Damaged the sharks fin). Once a suitable material is found I would assume they will go back to tagging the intrusive way.

Dr. Michael Domeier stopped shark tagging with the SPOT system until they can re-devise a better material to affix the tag to the shark than the plastic they were using (Damaged the sharks fin). Once a suitable material is found I would assume they will go back to tagging the intrusive way.

Thanks, Peter... I wasn't aware of that. Looks like Dr. Domeier realized that damage WAS being done after all. Was this a result of the efforts involved in filming the new series?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom