What do you use to stop your mask from fogging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always carry a few small $1 travel bottles of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo. You can get it pretty much anywhere. They fit perfectly in the little pocket on my mask cases. I don't dilute it.. I add a few drops to the lens and spread it around. (Make sure your hands are clean) Wash / splash it clean right before you dive and you should be good to go. Spit is also fine depending on what you've eaten recently.

All the commercial mask anti-fog is a big waste of money.. I used it when I first started but soon noticed most of the experienced divers were using baby shampoo either direct or a diluted mix via a spray bottle, etc..

As others have already said, prepping your mask is the key... Different masks come with different amounts of silicone on them. My Atomic Ultraclear masks took a lot of flaming on the inside to finally stop fogging. I've had others that I just scrubbed with toothpaste and they were good to go.

As for fogging during a dive.. You can always use the @NetDoc method of full on tonguing it.. I've never tried it but it looked entertaining enough. While diving in Cozumel, I've seen dive masters use a specific type of sea grass to rub inside diver's masks, which stopped the fogging. I was one of those divers and was duly impressed.

Last edited:
++1 on the baby shampoo. Cheap. Easy. Smells good. And it works!

Be careful flaming a mask or using toothpaste on it. First know the mask you have and if that will harm the mask. I have a SeadDive Eagleeye RayBlocker HD mask. It comes with a fog resistant coating already applied. Plus it has an anti-refelctive coating on it.

If you flame this mask or use toothpaste you will ruin the fog resistant coating and totally destroy the anti-reflective coating. I know these prep methods are widely used but again, know the mask you have and how to properly prep THAT mask.

Just like all your gear, advice is great but knowing your gear is the key. I still use some spit in my mask right before I splash. I have fogged up once but it was a warm day, we did the ol GS out of the gate and were on the surface for 10 minutes while one of the other student divers dealt with a fear issue. During that time I did fog up being on the surface and and that warm, I expected it to fog. I dipped my head in the water, partially flooded the mask, cleared it and all was good once we descended.

If you can't tell, I LOVE my mask!!!

Eagleye-SLX-HD.jpg

1st up I use a cleaning product called Jiff then baby shampoo all the way

This is easily the most repeated topic on SB. Dozens of threads with the same posts alternating between spit and baby shampoo.

Baby shampoo works as well, or better, than the commercial defoggers, and is a lot cheaper,

Spit, Baby shampoo and Kelp if I am fogging underwater for some reason and am diving in kelp beds. Grab some kelp fronds, remove mask underwater, rub the kelp on the mask lens, replace mask, clear and voila.

Toothpaste for new mask and before every trip, then baby shampoo or good old fashioned saliva...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom