What do you use to track equipment usage for maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Suunto Dive Computer that I upload to Subsurface to log all my dives. It's not really made to keep track of equipment as far as I've seen other than tanks and weights.

I need to keep track of the different equipment I use so I know when it needs to be serviced. I was wondering if anyone figured out a good way to do this in Subsurface or recommend another software solution. FYI I'm not big on using paper for anything.

Thanks

You can use a google spreadsheet ? No need to overengineer it if what you want to write is text and numbers.

Or just use rules of thumbs like servicing every year your regs ?

You can use a google spreadsheet ? No need to overengineer it if what you want to write is text and numbers.

Or just use rules of thumbs like servicing every year your regs ?

Last year I'd agree with you. Using a calendar or google spreadsheet would be my first choice. But at this point, it looks like the amount of diving I'm doing will make it inadequate. Let me explain...

I have (2) first stages and (4) second stages. I probably will have about 200-300 dives from January to June. My equipment requires anywhere from 1-2 years or 100-200 dives whichever happens first. I use different regs for different dives and I'm afraid of sending them to be serviced way too late and paying the consequences underwater.

Last year I'd agree with you. Using a calendar or google spreadsheet would be my first choice. But at this point, it looks like the amount of diving I'm doing will make it inadequate. Let me explain...

I have (2) first stages and (4) second stages. I probably will have about 200-300 dives from January to June. My equipment requires anywhere from 1-2 years or 100-200 dives whichever happens first. I use different regs for different dives and I'm afraid of sending them to be serviced way too late and paying the consequences underwater.
I don’t see the problem with a google spreadsheet or calendar.

If you know your diving schedule then you set a date in 200 dives.

If you don’t, you count them at the end of the week.

You said it yourself 100-200, that’s a rough figure: it’s not like at dive 101 you will die because you didn’t service at 100 dives.

I keep an Excel spreadsheet with all my family's gear on it. This includes service and battery changes for computers and transmitters. Once constructed, it is simple to keep up, serves me very well.

If you need I can define a protocol you can follow to keep it up to date

6 columns
  • Item: write down what it is like ‘regulator’
  • Last serviced: last time you serviced
  • Next service date: for example last serviced + 365 days
  • Used since last service: number of time you used since last service
  • Max use per service: number of times you can use it before you need to service it
  • Requires service: put a formula if we are past the date or if the number of times used exceed the usage per service above, make it conditional formula so it gets red when true
At the top put a date, last updated. Every time you update it, you write today’s date in it.

That should cover the usage you describe above.

I use a google sheet for my standard dive log. In addition to standard log info (dive number, depth, time, etc), I add extra lines for maintenance items (Reg Service, Hose Replacement, Battery Swap). Since I have dates of dives and service, I can automatically add all the dive times after the last service (note this only includes the time during the actual dive). This is done though some fairly long sheet equations

=SUMIFS(indirect(ADDRESS(max(filter(row(diveTime:diveTime),len(diveTime:diveTime), notes:notes="Reg Service - DC3"))+1, 4, 4) & ":diveTime"), indirect(ADDRESS(max(filter(row(diveTime:diveTime),len(diveTime:diveTime), notes:notes="Reg Service - DC3"))+1, 5, 4) & ":tankSize"), "<=120") & " mins"

This will sum up the total dive times for each dive after the last instance of my reg service. Additionally, it will ignore the dive if the tank size is >120cf (meaning the use of doubles and different regs). It is fairly easy to tag a dive with specific equipment to be included in a sum.

(Service Type) (Date of Service)(Dives Since Service)(Minutes of Use Since Service)(Average Minutes of Use For Each Service)
Time Since Service - DC3 2017-10-07 85 dives 4910 mins AVG(3402)
Hose - Primary 2nd 2015-08-17 217 dives 3 years
Hose - Secondary 2nd 2016-12-17 145 dives 2 years
Hose - LPI 2016-12-17 145 dives 2 years
Hose - Drysuit LPI 2018-02-15 74 dives 1 years
Hose - HP 2016-12-17 145 dives 2 years
Battery - Leonardo 2017-05-12 121 dives 7089 mins AVG(4493)
Battery - Perdix 2018-09-30 33 dives 1640 mins AVG(1434)
Battery - Transmitter 2018-04-05 69 dives 3888 mins AVG(3486)

ND...

Make notations on your dive log so you know exactly what you're kitted up with each time you enter the water...some dive logs already have most of the notations formally in place...just add what's missing...

I can go back years...and know every piece of gear I was wearing on every logged dive...

This will help you in identifying maintenance scheduling requirements...for each piece of gear and under what conditions it has been used...

Hope this helps...

Best...

Warren

you've been duped. There are no "consequences" to be paid by going too late. Regulators work until they don't. Buy an IP gauge and check your regs once a month or so. If the IP isn't creeping and the second stages aren't leaking, there is no reason to service. Using them that often will be better for them anyway. Go on the age recommendation not the number of dives recommendation if you're going to follow a schedule, but they likely won't even need that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom