What do you want or wish you had from your LDS? All good, all bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to work a full time job Monday through Friday from 4:00 am to 3:30 pm and a part time job at a dive shop on the weekends for 41 hours. On Fridays I worked at the dive shop from 6:00 pm until 2:00 am. On Saturday I worked from 6:00 am to 2:00 am followed by Sunday from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm. It was an exhausting schedule, plus I was going to college three nights a week. The shop was at a landing where dive boats would go out around 3:00 am for outer island trips and they would arrive back at the dock around 6:00 pm so we were there for late fills, rentals and sales of batteries and things that divers forgot. We didn't make enough in sales to remain open after about ten years. It takes a lot more than just being there for your customers.

I tend to think shops should focus on the basics. Gas fills, gear service, equipment sales and training. The emphasis should be on enabling the customers to acquire all four with as little hassle as possible.

I consider these basic expectations:

1) Gas fills. I should be able to walk into any dive shop and obtain an air fill while I wait, and some variant of 30-36% at most shops. I should be able to rent a variety of cylinders common to local diving, or have my own cylinders filled. I should expect to find evidence of recent gas testing, the fill station should be clean and well maintained, and pricing should be posted in a clear and conspicuous manner. Cylinders should be filled to rated pressure, or otherwise explained and charged appropriately. Blended gasses should be within 1-2% of requested mix. I understand the need for lead time for technical gasses or custom blends, but keep it within 48 hours. If technical diving is popular in the area, a shop catering to technical divers should have those gasses banked and double/deco cylinders available for rent.

2) Gear service. I should be able to walk into a dive shop and have them service the equipment that I purchased from them, or that they are a dealer for. If they can't do it in house or don't sell/service that brand, they should offer options for having another shop handle it. Their techs should be well trained and experienced, with manufacturer training workshops a bare minimum. Service should be completed in a timely manner and turnaround expectations should be clear. Pricing and the scope of work to be performed should be clear. Documentation should be provided of all work performed, with test results listed where applicable. Recommendations and advice should be based on facts and evidence, not derived from common industry scare tactics.

3) Gear and Training
. A selection of gear and training options is nice, and I'd prefer shop place their energy in making sure that what is on offer in both regards is appropriate for local diving. Shops should, at the very least, have common replacement parts and wear items for typical local dive equipment. Shops should have a selection of rental gear that is appropriate for local diving. I should be able to equip an average sized diver for local diving using items in-stock at your shop; purchase and rental. A new diver should be able to learn to comfortably and capably explore local dive sites, using the training available at a local shop. A diver should, after completing OW, AOW and Rescue, have the confidence to explore a wide variety of local dive sites, independently of a shop organized dive or divemaster, with a similarly trained buddy. Opportunities for continued education should be provided at all levels of diving.

Community building and activities are nice, but that always seems to be more for the promoting the dive shop's interests and engaging new and inactive divers. Dive shops should focus firstly on promoting diving. At a minimum, that means they should offer advice on local dive sites and dive opportunities, and maintain a network of guides available for hire, or local divers interested in diving with new buddies. They should know the schedules, rates and contact information of local dive boats and provide this information. They should be out diving for fun.

I can list numerous examples of failures for all the above, in shops across North America, but I tend to think the people paying attention to this thread understand exactly what I'm talking about.

Bottom line: too many have ignored the basics and become little more than a travel agency with a scuba themed gift shop.

Last edited:
Huh. I guess this is why I stay off the internet. And here I was just looking for some feedback on what people like or dislike in their local shops, so that I can better serve the community that I'm in.

Annnnd then this happens, because I'm not in the market for a marketing service. Just, wow.

We're still a GUE center, as we don't need to have an instructor on staff. The website is dated, and slowly being updated. Got it. Am I the only person here who feels we may have strayed a little bit off course?
Hey, Ron, ignore the grinding axe. :) I suspect the rest of us are. Regard it as the focus of a Shakespeare quote ('. . . full of sound and fury . . .')

You asked a very reasonable question. And, it has started one of the better threads on this subject. There have been A LOT of good suggestions, and I would hope that many shop owners / managers would take a look. Frankly, I feel like I know something about dive shops, but I have learned quite a bit myself from reading the thread.

A few things for me:

Fills are timely, up to pressure and mix is in the ballpark ... I'm more concerned with pressure than getting the gauge to read exactly (and this getting a short fill)

Same with service, I do most of my own, but I don't tumble or O2 clean, so having minimal downtime is awesome.

Gear, either you have it or you don't. If you don't have it, but can get it, get it. Don't "I'll put it in our next order" I'll pay the $20 to have it next week, else I'll look elsewhere and get it faster (usually), and cheaper (potentially).

And do what you say... if your offering a trip, follow up with pricing, etc. If I asked about it, I'm interested in it. I'm not going to chase you down to give my money to you if you don't follow up on it (same with gear)

_R

Sauna

Loop of The Big Blue playing

Kale smoothies

Cute Russian instructors

Cute Russian instructors

Normally, I would have preferred Ukrainian but after many trips to Bonaire I would say Dutch. OMG. I can hardly think when I'm there. My heart is too old for the stress. I have to drive with blinders on.

But seriously, I wish my LDS would do another trip to Coz. For the past few years all their trips have been to very far away places that take several days to get to and from. Also, they were for things I'm not particularly into or require technical certs. At a club meeting they described a past Coz. trip itiniary and it sounded divine. Wish they would do a repeat.

Timely fills and FULL fills.

This may or may not help but I’m not sure if your training is “going rate “ in Alaska
But it sounds expensive $699 course with $99 for drysuit, $300 personal gear and $145 for books?

I would come in for fills but I doubt I’d walk around much with prices like that.

The OW price should include everything.
It’s too cold there to wetsuit it so it should Books and drysuit. I DESPISE “lower” advertised costs than what the inevitable total will be, that’s a huge turn off for me.

For comparison I got all my OW done in Vancouver, with drysuit use for all open water dives and an extra dive for drysuit cert. a year of unlimited free air fills for $575 CAD ~$440 USD
Included rentals for everything and 20% off any gear or anything else we bought for entire course duration.

What do I want....mmm....
1) promote local diving. This is the returning customer base for gear sales and parts. If I'm travelling to a different area I'll google the shops around and try to see if there is a local club day/fun day I could get some dives in around. Otherwise...I'm a solo diver with no buddy in unfamiliar waters and no gear which probably means I'll be spending time with the wife instead.

2) show where I can dive in the area. Google maps or site description. There's a shop in British Columbia I'd like to go diving through while visiting relations but all the diving they do is 1-3 hours from the shop. Makes it tough to slip away from the inlaws.

3) have a range of gear in prices. I've been in some shops where the starting prices on gear made me reconsider my mortgage payments...and was running out the door quick. Favorite shop has some cheaper basic gear + quality gear + used rental gear....pick your budget but come out diving is the message.

4) I'm in cold water country...so the trips advertised are a mix of tropical and west coast cold water. Makes sense to go dive cold water if that's what you're training in.

5) Be happy to see a diver regardless of experience and/or if you trained them. I did PADI locally but had trouble at a couple of shops because I didn't go through their "expert" when I went to go for dry suit training. Ended up at an SSI shop...and keep going back.

6) promote events. Winter the shops I go to are supporting communal dive nights at the local college pool, summer dive events around the province and generally are always asking when/where are you going next. Gets people enthused with the sport and keeps them engaged instead of chasing new vacation diver clients every month.

SERVICE.

It amazes me how crappy customer service is nowadays. I firmly believe that money just comes too easy for businesses nowadays. They don't give a rats behind if you're a satisfied customer or not. If money didn't come too easy, they'd strive to create and maintain a customer.

Examples I've encountered include the "yeah drop your tank off and we'll VIP it and call you in about 3 weeks." Really? It takes me 30 minutes to VIP a tank...but it takes you 30,240 minutes to VIP one. ( I found out later they don't even have a VIP guy. They call a guy from Raleigh who comes down to VIP their tanks. So they have to wait until they get enough tanks in the "needs a VIP" pile to justify him driving 2 hours from Raleigh)

And the infamous "Yeah, don't worry about that safety recall. Just dive with it like it is. If the button sticks just disconnect the hose" that their "authorized repair center guy" told me two years ago on an AquaLung inflator hose recall.

Or the fact that I have to nag the sales guy for 9 months to order what I want. Finally I just went to Raleigh and bought it.

Or the reg set my buddy dropped off for servicing last fall. He finally went back after 4 months and picked it up and took it elsewhere. Four months. I mean c'mon. You unscrew the thing and soak it in cleaner to dissolve the salt & crud and put some new O-rings in it and replace the filter and adjust the resistance. That doesn't take 4 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom