What do you want or wish you had from your LDS? All good, all bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you mentioned something about the cost of pool time, so don't know if this is an option. Our LDS offers free use of the pool for life after certification. This includes using their tanks. While I've only taken advantage of this a few times due to the drive, it is handy to go test drive a new piece of gear or give myself a refresher before a trip. We do have to fit it in around the classes that are scheduled, so it's not just show up anytime and dive. Since they have a pool on site, the shops only cost is whatever air we use.

The $699 is class, pool, and OW, but I totally get what you're saying, and thank you for the feedback. I like the idea of offering free fills, which got me thinking about free pool time for "x" amount of days, and now I'm trying to figure out more I could do down that road (i.e. a discounted, non-diving speciality for recent students, etc.). Thanks for the input!

Bear in mind that, if they are coming along for the "free" pool use or free air fills, they might pick up a few odds and ends while in the shop especially if they are made to feel comfortable ( a coffee and chat can go a long way).

My lds is very laid back go in have a chat I feel like I'm visiting a friend.
They were telling me about how they now have a 4th compressor and 25 l.p. banks and 25hp banks I asked if i could take a peek at the setup without hesitation they brought me down to see the monstrosity.
But we chatted.
I was telling the owner about this thread and how I feel about buying things and that I will buy it in store before anything else because that's how you keep your dive shop open. They can't stay open solely on air fills.
So I say go out to your lds and buy directly from them I bought a brand New cold water drysuit hood cost me 82.75 I believe nth I would have paid 90 to support them.
Their open for you you don't save much by buying online if your dive shop is there to get divers in the water rather then make a fortune.
Oh on the other hand also when buying from your lds especially exposure garments they know how to fit you properly.
DON'T BE THE GUY THAT TRIES THINGS ON AT THE LDS TO FIND OUT THE SIZE YOU NEED THEN ORDER IT ONLINE.
There was one guy who kept complaining about how he could get things cheaper online he was told if he tries things on he better be buying something he was also told that if everything is cheaper online then that's where he should get his air fills

Oh on the other hand also when buying from your lds especially exposure garments they know how to fit you properly.
DON'T BE THE GUY THAT TRIES THINGS ON AT THE LDS TO FIND OUT THE SIZE YOU NEED THEN ORDER IT ONLINE.

Depends on the markup and also the LDS should have a reasonable price matching policy. If a pair of fins are $99 shipped online and $149+tax at the store and LDS doesn't bother coming close, yeah, I am buying online. Get within $10 and I am buying at the LDS due to instant gratification

I agree on the outrageous markup bit that's why you need a dive shop that wants to get you in the water. Also if you don't support your lds in any way except when you need something last minute it makes it hard for them to keep their doors open therefore forcing them to Jack up their prices

Depends on the markup and also the LDS should have a reasonable price matching policy. If a pair of fins are $99 shipped online and $149+tax at the store and LDS doesn't bother coming close, yeah, I am buying online. Get within $10 and I am buying at the LDS due to instant gratification
I think there has to be a bit of come and go from both sides. As a shop, I need to at least try to work with the potential customer as they will run a mile (towards the online outlets) if I always have high prices and am unwilling to move on them. As a potential customer, I need to understand the needs of the shop to make some money and that they will potentially have higher overheads than an entirely online outfit.

Back
Top Bottom