What Do You Wear Under Your Drysuit Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnybravo0311

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, once you've made the decision to buy your fleece/thinsulate/whatever drysuit undergarment, what do you put on under it? Do you wear another, lighter drysuit undergarment? Do you wear shorts and a tee? Do you go commando? If you do wear more than your own skin, what materials do you like (merino, fleece, silk, something else)? Do you like snug fitting stretchy or loose fitting?

Obviously a lot depends on your own cold tolerance and the water temperatures in which you'll be diving, the type of diving you'll do and the length of your time underwater. So, what do you wear under your undergarments and why?

I always wear a bathing suit. I figure that if I get a suit flood, I'm going to need to get out of everything else and still be wearing something that can keep me decent and dry quickly.

I wear REI Merino wool mid-weight base layer top and bottom. Don't even notice little leaks because they insulate so well and dry quickly between dives. Also merino doesn't stink even after several dives. Also cheaper than name brand or diver specific brand.

Icebreaker Merino top and bottom, repurposed ski gear actually. Usually a 210-280gm long sleeve base layer although I also have microweight option for warmer waters. I like merino wool because it is comfortable next to skin, wicks well, does not stink even after multiple wears, and will maintain some warming characteristics even if wet.

Anything starting with a dry-fit tee and jammers to running tights/top, and up to another full layer of fleece.....

@Storker I've read that thread previously. I grew up in the cold northern climate of NH where winter sports were a natural part of life from downhill and cross country skiing, to outdoor ice hockey and sledding. We learned very early on the benefits of layering and didn't have the fancy man-made materials available today. Our choices were pretty much wool... or wool :p

Needless to say, I'm a proponent of woolly garments.

Having written that, times change and the available materials have changed as well. Silk, spandex, multiple blends of polyesters, different brand names like thinsulate and goretex, and every retailer has their own marketing spin. Let's be honest here - Fourth Element makes some pretty fantastic undergarments. They also charge outrageous amounts of money for what is at its heart a set of fleece. Their standard Arctic/Xerotherm garments are Polartec fleece - the very same Polartec fleece you can purchase from countless non-diver stores at a fraction of the cost. At least the Expedition series incorporates multiple materials in its construction. From what I can tell it's their own thermocline strategically sewn together in areas likely to get wet like your shoulders, seat and knees.

At any rate, I'm curious to see what others like to wear next to their skin. I'm also curious to know the rationale behind people's decisions to purchase the "branded" undergarments as opposed to say stopping at your local LL Bean or REI and picking up something there.

my dry-fit tee are Champion/Cabellas/EMS, or whatever else is around. Tights are REI (only place I was able to find XTall), fleece is re-purposed old ski or hunting layers. The main layer is usually obtained at a fraction of the cost as it it closeouts, old models, or clearance. My latest steal is a Fourth Element set of bottoms (super heavy duty model) for $99 from DRIS. I took up all the width by my height, and they fit like a freaking dream! Since they onlt had the bottoms, I got a soft shell winter coat from Columbia (again on closeout) for really cheap. YMMV.

Patagonia lightweight Capilene top and bottom

UnderArmour "cold gear" compression tights and long-sleeve shirt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom