What Do You Wear Under Your Drysuit Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red Bra & Pantie with garter belt and fishnet stocking......:rofl3:

Jim...

Tighty-whities, thin socks, wool/poly union suit, black tuxedo print t-shirt, then sweat pants and sweater if warm, or real dive shop undergarment if chilly. Planning to rig an electric vest, but hasn't happened yet.
The union suit works pretty well, can be worn under regular clothes on shore, don't have to strip naked to gear up, protects fancy undergarment from sweat, and adds some insulation. The tuxedo t-shirt adds a bit of class to every dive.

Having written that, times change and the available materials have changed as well. Silk, spandex, multiple blends of polyesters, different brand names like thinsulate and goretex, and every retailer has their own marketing spin. Let's be honest here - Fourth Element makes some pretty fantastic undergarments. They also charge outrageous amounts of money for what is at its heart a set of fleece. Their standard Arctic/Xerotherm garments are Polartec fleece - the very same Polartec fleece you can purchase from countless non-diver stores at a fraction of the cost. At least the Expedition series incorporates multiple materials in its construction. From what I can tell it's their own thermocline strategically sewn together in areas likely to get wet like your shoulders, seat and knees.
Let's agree to disagree about whether man has been able to make a fiber that surpasses wool when it comes to keeping you warm when damp or wet :) And when it comes to funk, everything else turns pretty nasty after not too long while wool keeps your undersuit less funky for a longer time.

At any rate, I'm curious to see what others like to wear next to their skin. I'm also curious to know the rationale behind people's decisions to purchase the "branded" undergarments as opposed to say stopping at your local LL Bean or REI and picking up something there.
IME there's a ton of difference between quality undergarments and the cheaper stuff. Now, some of the brands charge a premium which can't be justifed by their properties, true. But the cheap stuff uses cheap fiber and is not at all as good as the good stuff.

Anyway, to your question: No matter the temperature and no matter what other undergarments I use, I always wear a pair of microfiber sports boxer briefs and an Aclima Woolnet set:
thumb.jpg
111132089.jpg
114132089.jpg

Usually that's enough unless the water temp drops to 5-6C (low 40s F) or colder. I'm pretty happy with my undersuit, except I need quite a lot of lead to sink. If the woolnet and my undersuit isn't enough, I layer my torso with Woolpower garments:
03062015-_DSC0019-6-231x340.jpg
03062015-_DSC0070-4-227x340.jpg

The tee and the crewneck shirt can be layered. If I need more, I might also layer below the belt, with their longs. That's hardly ever necessary.
DSC0116-227x340.jpg

I use merino wool base layers (Icebreakers). They:
- allow me to extend the temperature ranges I use my undergarments in
- have excellent wicking properties
- provide great odour resistance

I have not come across any man-made fabrics able to provide both wicking and odour resistance to the level of merino wool.

Let's agree to disagree about whether man has been able to make a fiber that surpasses wool when it comes to keeping you warm when damp or wet :) And when it comes to funk, everything else turns pretty nasty after not too long while wool keeps your undersuit less funky for a longer time.
I never stated that any manmade fiber was able to surpass wool's ability to keep you warm when damp or wet. I was simply stating that since my childhood, a whole host of new materials have come to market.

IME there's a ton of difference between quality undergarments and the cheaper stuff. Now, some of the brands charge a premium which can't be justifed by their properties, true. But the cheap stuff uses cheap fiber and is not at all as good as the good stuff.
I should have been clearer here. I was trying to make an apples to apples comparison between the branded diver-specific gear (like Fourth Element) and branded non-diver-specific gear (for example REI Patagonia Capilene). Fourth Element Xerotherm top is $139 at DRIS. The "thermal weight" Capilene top is $89. The mid-weight top is $59. The lightweight top is $49. Both brands are Polartec fleece blends. That's a pretty absurd premium to pay just to have the Fourth Element logo on your base layer. Even if we compare to the brand-name wool (Icebreakers), the wool undergarments still are less expensive than the Xerotherms - Oasis top at REI is $90, Zone top is $110.

I'm not bashing Fourth Element here. As I stated in my previous post, I think they make some great gear. I just think they charge an outrageous premium for that gear.

Anyway, to your question: No matter the temperature and no matter what other undergarments I use, I always wear a pair of microfiber sports boxer briefs and an Aclima Woolnet set.

Usually that's enough unless the water temp drops to 5-6C (low 40s F) or colder. I'm pretty happy with my undersuit, except I need quite a lot of lead to sink. If the woolnet and my undersuit isn't enough, I layer my torso with Woolpower garments
I'm a bit confused by this. You state you wear Aclima Woolnet garments, which is typically enough for you. But then you state "if the woolnet and my undersuit isn't enough". Wait... so... you wear boxer briefs, the Aclima AND some other undergarment not shown in your post? Or, are you stating that you wear boxer briefs, and the Aclima as your undergarments, unless things get too cold, in which case you then layer on some Woolpower stuff? Help me understand, please :)

Ahh... I see. The wool against the skin and some undergarment over the wools in a trilam, just the wools with the neoprene. Thanks for the clarity :)

I use those Under Armour turtleneck shirts and thin skiing underpants/leggings both in warm and cold water. Pretty happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom