What Do You Wear Under Your Drysuit Undergarments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive buddy shows up wearing panty hose. Akwardly, we ask him when he started dressing In such fashion. He answers "when my wife found them in the bottom of my business overnight bag"..…

@Storker So, if I may continue on with our discussion, why not just stack more wool together for a complete undersuit? You can see my conundrum here. If wool beats poly hands down, then there has to be a pretty compelling reason not to use wool for the entirety of your undergarment set. Poly, by definition, must beat wool in some key areas for you to have chosen to use it in conjunction with wool under your drysuit.

For example, maybe you say, "wool wicks moisture better and has better thermal properties when wet than Poly. Wool has natural anti-microbial properties from the lanolin. Therefore, that goes against my skin. Poly has better overall thermal properties with less bulk. Therefore, that goes on top of the wool."

What's your list of pros/cons for each that led you to make the decision of wool against the skin and poly on top of it?

Edit: and I'm cracking up from the side discussion regarding the use of red panties, bras, pantyhose and tuxedo shirts... :rofl3:

@Storker For example, maybe you say, "wool wicks moisture better and has better thermal properties when wet than Poly. Wool has natural anti-microbial properties from the lanolin. Therefore, that goes against my skin. Poly has better overall thermal properties with less bulk. Therefore, that goes on top of the wool."
Pretty much..

A wool garment thick enough to match a 2-300gsm Thinsulate undersuit when it comes to thermal properties would probably be too heavy and dry way too slowly.

Cheers @Storker :). I appreciate you taking the time to explain your reasoning for putting together undergarments.

Cheers @Storker :). I appreciate you taking the time to explain your reasoning for putting together undergarments.
You're welcome.

It's not as if I don't appreciate the properties of modern synthetics. For some applications, they're great. If I'm doing high-intensity activities that will make me perspire a lot, I prefer a polypropylene wicking layer. If it's netting, that's even better. And if I want a lightweight, quick-drying middle layer, I can't imagine choosing anything but polarfleece or thinsulate. But if I have to count on being wet, damp and/or sweaty at medium to low intensity levels (which IME is a pretty good description of how it is to dive in a drysuit in chilly or cold water, even without a leak. Which again IME happens more than often enough to seriously consider planning for), I probably would avoid using anything but wool as my base layer. I might reconsider that position at gunpoint, but don't count on it. :)

normal panties and a running shirt. usually short sleeve, occasionally long sleeve. now that i'm a bit thinner, i'm getting a bit colder and last trip i wore a fleece vest a couple of times.

then a thin tilos fleece union suit, nylon trouser socks, and walmart pink thick wool hunting socks.

Hi Jonnybravo0311 - This is Kathy Long with DUI - Diving Unlimited. We do recommend wearing a performance base layer (no cotton). One reason behind this - the base layer will absorb body oils and such... and you can easily toss these in the laundry. Soap acts as a wetting agent for Thinsulate so we suggest laundering it as little as possible. And the more you launder your more expensive undergarments the thinner they become...and lose warmth. And as you mention it just more comfortable to layer.

Hi @kathydui :). Since you represent DUI, I'm sure you've got a vested interest in your own company's product line. As far as I can tell, your base layer (the ECODiveWear) is a PolarTec fleece garment. What made DUI choose to go with a fleece base as opposed to another material (for example wool)? What advantages does your own fleece base layer have over other fleece base layers?

You also bring up a very important factor divers have to consider: the cost of the garments. I've certainly found the vast majority of "dive-specific" retailers/manufacturers to have price points considerably higher than others. As an example, DUI ECODiveWear base layers have an MSRP of $174 for top and bottom. Fourth Element doesn't list an MSRP on their web site, so using DRIS as a baseline, the J2 is $232 and the DryBase is $178. LL Bean PolarTec Power Dry base layer ranges from $60 for the lightweight to $120 for the expedition weight. REI Patagonia Capilene garments range from $85 to $150.

That's a pretty hefty premium, which brings me back around to the questions of features and benefits. I'm certainly not opposed to paying a premium price for a premium product. Show me why the $175 set is worth that price point, and the benefits it brings to the table over the other products.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom