What Does an STA Do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kablooey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've noticed a lot of wings and backplates now come with slots for cam bands, Some wings even have tank bumpers built in.

So, what is the need for a single tank adapter?
What exactly is the function of an STA?

I have now dived several times without an STA, using just the slots for my cam bands, and everything seems to work fine.
There must be a raison d'être for STAs?
Please enlighten me.

Some wings don’t have slots for cam bands so you have to use the STA to dive a single tank. That’s all, folks! :wink:

also the STA provides stabilization so the tank doen'st rotate against the plate.

also the STA provides stabilization so the tank doen'st rotate against the plate.

Perhaps needed for some setups, but not all. I have no STA and it's impossible to rotate the tank once it's strapped in.

I've noticed a lot of wings and backplates now come with slots for cam bands, Some wings even have tank bumpers built in.

So, what is the need for a single tank adapter?
What exactly is the function of an STA?

I have now dived several times without an STA, using just the slots for my cam bands, and everything seems to work fine.
There must be a raison d'être for STAs?
Please enlighten me.

history lesson
back in the mid 80's when Dive Rite was first getting formed, Lamar's wife Lee Ann didn't want to dive doubles. At the time, there were no single tank wings out, the backplates didn't have cam band slots, so he had to figure out how to make a single tank mount to the backplates like the doubles did. STA was born. He also set the 11" OC spacing for the backplate holes around the same time.
Until about 10 years ago, very few single tank wings had integrated stabilizers, the band spacing was and still largely is quite variable depending on the manufacturer, and some divers just prefer an STA, especially if they go back and forth between singles and doubles using the same backplate. Undoing two wing nuts is a LOT easier than unthreading and rethreading cam bands.
You can also have an STA on each tank if doing a 2-tank boat dive and that makes swapping the backplates over a bit easier since you don't have to lift the rig up over the unhooked tanks. Many CCR's also use an STA for this same reason. The STA is strapped to the CCR can and you can remove the whole thing quite easily at the end of the day.
If you have a weighted STA it's a good spot to put a bunch of weight as well.

Some rigs require STA's. Dive Rite's should be used with them, though many don't. Halcyon's still have to as there are no cam band cutouts in their design, and a few others for similar/identical reasons.

LeeAnn doesn't need doubles....she burns through air less than half as fast as the rest of us!!

Between STA and STAless Wing with anti roll pillows like oxycheq, STA does provide additional stability. May not matter or even noticeable to some, but differences is there.

Another useage for STA is it move the tank away from you back by a bit. Something it is enough to leviate head bumping into first stage issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom