what else do I need ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblebrain

Reaction score
ahoy fellow divers

I'm looking at starting an toures level underwater videography business . I'm looking at the sony dcr vx 2100 and eiklite housing , using a dell notebook with a 60 gig h/d .
I would like to start out with the basics but allows for expansion into more professional productions .What I need to know what else would I need to start with .

Thank you for your input .

Bubblebrain.........

The 2100 is an excellent system. I have many satisfied customers using this system. I have also personally shot with the 2100 for an underwater t.v. special in Great Whites.

I would look into some of the other housing options. Ikelite is a nice entry level housing. I would take a look at other options. The Gates and Light & motion housings are very durable and the controls are excellent. Both companies offer a variety of choices for optics as well. One thing that will make your shooting easier is an external monitor. Using a 2.5" or 4" LCD to view your subjects allows you see more of what you are shooting, make sure your subjects are in focus, and it will allow you to enjoy your dive without having your face stuck to the viewfinder.

Best of luck on your new quest. Feel free to ask me any q's you think of.

Also, if you are really getting into this and want to do it professionally, I would consider getting the new Sony HDV camcorder. I have played with them quite a bit (both the pro model Z1 and consumer FX1). These cameras allow you to shoot in both HDV and Mini Dv, as well as DV Cam on the Z1.

The Gates housings will start shipping in a week, with other manufactuers to follow in the upcoming months.

Thank you for the very useful information . As many divers are from Europe , what about NTSC and PAL formats ?
H2OPhotoPro:
The 2100 is an excellent system. I have many satisfied customers using this system. I have also personally shot with the 2100 for an underwater t.v. special in Great Whites.

I would look into some of the other housing options. Ikelite is a nice entry level housing. I would take a look at other options. The Gates and Light & motion housings are very durable and the controls are excellent. Both companies offer a variety of choices for optics as well. One thing that will make your shooting easier is an external monitor. Using a 2.5" or 4" LCD to view your subjects allows you see more of what you are shooting, make sure your subjects are in focus, and it will allow you to enjoy your dive without having your face stuck to the viewfinder.

Best of luck on your new quest. Feel free to ask me any q's you think of.

Also, if you are really getting into this and want to do it professionally, I would consider getting the new Sony HDV camcorder. I have played with them quite a bit (both the pro model Z1 and consumer FX1). These cameras allow you to shoot in both HDV and Mini Dv, as well as DV Cam on the Z1.

The Gates housings will start shipping in a week, with other manufactuers to follow in the upcoming months.

bubblebrain:
Thank you for the very useful information . As many divers are from Europe , what about NTSC and PAL formats ?
For the usage you're anticipating, I'd go with a Gates or Amphibico housing. I think you'll find metal housings will hold up better under continuous usage. Also consider the previous suggestion for shooting in HD with the Sony camera, imho it's what everybody will be doing in a couple of years as HD programming becomes mainstream. It's obviously a pricier option though, maybe something to grow into.

Given any thought to lights? You'll probably need them to bring out the details, even in the tropics.

60 GB probably isn't going to be enough storage space. By the time you add an operating system, a couple of editing packages, a DVD authoring package, filters/processors, special effects, a sound editor/files, you'll probably have less than 40GB to work in. Which is not enough space to edit/store more than 1 or 2 projects simultaneously, especially at DV quality. Maybe not even enough room for 1 - depends on what capture quality you use and how long the final output will be. You can "cheat" with some packages, they allow you to edit using a low-res version of your raw footage and render the final version using raw footage that's pulled from the camcorder during the final output processing.

Also what processor/memory are you considering? Get the best you can afford. Most serious video editing platforms have separate 7200rpm drives dedicated to video capture and storage, hard to do on a laptop.

Unless you really need the portability, I'd get a P4 desktop with two drives, a smaller primary for the system files and editing software and a 2nd 160-200GB 7200rpm hard drive for capture/storage. Make sure it has Firewire for video capture and a good(great isn't necessary) video card with 256MB of memory. Also since memory is cheap, get 1GB of system memory. Even then, you'll probably need to invest in some offline storage solution for all your raw footage and finished output backups.

The only reason you might want to work with a laptop would be if you were planning on delivering the output quickly. I was on a boat once where the videographer did some simple editing during the ride back in so we were able to preview the semi-finished product on a small TV prior to docking, she sold a few extra that day.

And have you thought about software? Adobe Premiere Pro - which is one option - has some pretty high hardware recommendations to work well. The last thing you want is slow production times due to hardware constraints, especially when you're trying to edit and deliver your product quickly for the tourist market. I know I'd prefer delivery of the finished product while I'm still at my vacation destination, rather than waiting a couple weeks for delivery by mail.

Also get a fast DVD-burner. Current standards are 16X Dual Layer, Sony makes a nice one - #DRX-710UL. I have one, it's an external drive so it will work with a laptop if you go that route.

To convert between NTSC/PAL you'll need a hardware transcoder. Or since DV footage is platform independent all you probably need do is use DVD authoring software that writes either format - I'm not certain of this though.

Any questions?

A few comments. In general it is not a good idea to buy a camera unless it has features that you need right way. The only problem with HDV is that most people do not currently have DVD players that will view high definition images nor do most folks have High Def TVs. HD also requires faster computers, more expensive monitors and much more hard drive storage space. Editing DV files is currently much easier and faster than editing HD mpeg files. HDV relatively speaking is still "bleeding edge" technology.

The one rationale that I have heard for going HDV now is that you can shoot all your footage HD then capture edit and produce your DVDs in SD. Then several years from now when everyone wants only HD you will have a library of HD footage that you can then edit on the new computers and fast hard drives (which will be less expensive than they are now.) It is an intriguing argument and if I was in the market for a camera today I might consider an FX1 instead of a VX2100. I still might buy the VX2100 but I would certainly think long and hard about the FX1 or its better cousin the Z1.

I agree that a desktop is more cost efficient for editing than a laptop. That being said I often use a laptop for editing. Look into getting a couple of 120 GB or 200 GB external USB/Firewire hard drives if you plan on editing on a laptop. They give you the storage space that you will need and are easy to plug into a desktop for example so you can work on the same project both in the field on a laptop and in the office on a desktop or workstation.

I you need to deliver both in PAL and NTSC, look into buying a production monitor that is switcheable between NTSC and PAL so you can check both formats while editing. Outputting in either format isn't difficult with today's editing software but it is nice to be able to see what final product looks like. You can watch it on a computer monitor but it is very hard to judge color and image quality on anything but a calibrated monitor.

As far as editing goes I really like Sony's Vegas Video. Much more stable than Premiere, runs well on laptops and workstations, very powerful and very fast. I also use Sony's DVD Architect which I use with an external HP DVD Writer which I am quite happy with as well. DVD Architect will also burn DVDs in both PAL and NTSC, as I think most of the authoring software will these days.

One minor but important purchase is a printer. I use an Epson R200 which wil print directly onto ink-jet printable DVDs and CDs. It only cost $100 and is so much easier than printing labels.

Hello

I wish to thank everyone who has taken the time to give me very good and useful information reguarding getting started as a videographer . Now all I need is to win the lottery to buy the euipment . :)

Sounds like a good plan there bubblebrain. let me know when and where you are buying your ticket.

As for external hard drives, they tend to be more expensive then an internal drive. Compusa has removeable drive trays, you install a "holder" in a desktop and then put each regular internal drive into a carrier. The holder is around $25, a carrier about $13. If you use a laptop, just create a small network and copy the files accross from one machine to the other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom