What equipment to own vs to rent

Is it worth owning (vs renting) for an occasional recreational diver? (Check for yes)

• Mask/fins

Votes: 153 98.1%
  • BCD

Votes: 96 61.5%
  • Regualtor Set

Votes: 101 64.7%
  • Basic Wetsuit

Votes: 123 78.8%
  • Collection of different thickness wetsuits

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • Dive light

Votes: 87 55.8%
  • Weights

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • Tank

Votes: 12 7.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the responses so far, keep these coming. Sorry, I forgot the computer in the poll, but I do own one. I am surprised why the BCD is behind the regulator in the poll... As for the light, just bought a cheap (18560 battery-operated) one on amazon for $20, will see how much I like it before getting a better one.

just bought a cheap (18560 battery-operated) one on amazon for $20, will see how much I like it before getting a better one.
Ok, what sort of light did you buy for $20 ?
Jut curious.

Thanks for the responses so far, keep these coming. Sorry, I forgot the computer in the poll, but I do own one. I am surprised why the BCD is behind the regulator in the poll... As for the light, just bought a cheap (18560 battery-operated) one on amazon for $20, will see how much I like it before getting a better one.

i’minterested in the fixation on a light. After M,F,&S, I would buy a dependable Regulator and BCD. Your reg is your most important piece of kit. I have dived for many, many years, and have never rented a reg. Although most reputable operators maintain their equipment well, you just never know. If you own your stuff, you KNOW if it has been maintained. ( provided you maintain your gear)
Also, what size are you(bcd). I am in Beaumont, and may be able to help you.
Lights are relatively cheap and available for rent. Don’t lose sleep over a light. More important gear. Sounds like you’re on the right track. Computer-Always.

mask and fins - you find ones you like guard with your life
BCD - somewhat the same, but I have seen some sketchy ones on my dives without weight pockets and I hate a belt
Regulator - I just like to know what is giving me air is well kept care of etc.
One wet suit, I would do a 5mm, that gives me a good range
No need for the range of them, if I do something that needs something besides the great white sausage or the 5mm I'll rent it because I will only do it once or twice.
Lights - I keep mine for around the house use. Rechargeable batteries are more sustainable anyway.
Weights and tanks - although I own, wouldnt do starting out. They are cheap and a PINTA to transport anywhere. So rent them.

I would get a computer - if not sure about your long term plans do a less expensive one like a leonardo cressi.

Homerdoc.

I'm jealous.......

Just to complete my open water I had to get my own wetsuit (40 degree water, just after ice out in northern New York). There was absolutely no suit even remotely possible to fit me.

Custom made 1/4" Farmer John and long sleeve "shortie" jacket. Just to get a C-card.....

Within a month I had all my gear (no tanks)....
As a newly certified AOW, I am now considering starting to get my own equipment kit. I am a recreational diver and perhaps will remain one in the near future. Expect to do a few trips a year, perhaps a couple of weekend getaways to Caribean and one long trip a year. Expect mostly tropical...

As of now, I've done AOW & Deep diving certifications, with just under a hundred dives, making me a relative beginner.

I got my mask and snorkel, booties, and fins for a while already. The latter can perhaps be upgraded at some point but work for now. Bought a second-hand Cressi Leonardo computer. I am shopping for a 3mm jumpsuit. All these seem worth it by cost/rent ratio and perhaps will pay for themselves in a year. I am considering a used BCD as I would love the integrated weight system and added comfort of a higher-end vest...

Now when it comes to regulators, I am puzzled - seems like between the large initial investment cost, annual maintenance costs, risks of buying used - it seems very little reason for a beginner diver to own. Looking at the rental costs between $5-10 in most locations it is unlikely to ever pay for itself for me. But are there advanced features that are not available on a rental that a beginner like me would benefit from? Any other reasons to own one vs renting in place?

What about other things - weights, tanks - seems a hassle to travel with so I assume for those not diving locally, it's not something to ever consider buying. Dive torch/light? If only used for night diving perhaps renting is cheat enough... Anything else?

For me, I bought my mask, snorkel booties and fins after doing my open water course because I struggled to find a rental mask that did not leak and, while this may be a little anal, using someone else's snorkel is something I find skeevy. The fins I bought so I could snorkel for free (I have friends with a house on the Red Sea). I do not really use a wet suit for most dives, however, for caves and crevices, some protection is a good idea. Sadly, rental suits almost never fit, so I bought a 3mm shortie. I bought my basic safety equipment - DSMB, whistle, and light for signalling with my mask and fins. The dive lights can be expensive to rent relative to their cost. The computer is a good thing to buy, though it was not on the list. I like to log my dives so I can remember the details of them, especially when I tend to dive in flurries - two or three months with nothing, then five or six days in a row of 3-4 dives per day, so remembering the particulars of any one given dive once I am back home is hard - the dives tend to smush together - logging as much data as possible - helps keep them straight.

I am right now looking for a regulator (or two). I am intrigued by the double-hose Kraken - I really dislike the bubbles in my face and the uneven pressure on the mouthpiece from the air hose (see my post in the classifieds section). The rear exhaust of a double-hose regulator is appealing, but buying vintage gear is a non-starter for me - I have no idea how to maintain my own gear and no inclination to learn (at this point), ergo, the Karaken, a new, but classic design double hose regulator. That said, so far I have only used typical 1st stage, second stage, octo systems, so I am looking for a decent used set up that I can buy more or less complete.

I have rented about ten different BCD set ups and I know I want a back plate/wing configuration. I really like simple; harness, back-plate, wing, and some d-rings. I hate the pockets and wrap-around feeling of a jacket. My main issue with used back plate/wing systems is, so far in my search, they do not seem to offer much in the way of savings relative to buying new. Which is why I have not yet purchased one. My local dive shop keeps trying to push me into a new, costly BCD from the favored brand sold in the shop.. the more he pushes, the less I want to buy from him. Now I do not even want to ask him about used gear because I find I no longer trust him to help me dive the way I want to.

I haven ot considered weights or tanks because everywhere I've been diving, they are included in the cost of diving.

My two cents.

I think it's a toss-up: I personally don't mind rental regs too much plus we don't dive enough to drive the rent anywhere near the purchase price. With an average jacket BCD, OTOH, I've a choice between an L that needs two of me to fill in the midsection, or a skimpy M. Other people may be squeamish about the regs, or want them finer-tuned for inhalation effort, and be a better fit for the "standard" BCD measurements.

I have no problem using rental equipment.
All my initial training were done with in-house gear except the mask.

Mask, fins, wetsuit, booties, gloves, hood, computer, surface marker, and I would buy at least a small dry bag -- everything on a boat gets wet. (The cheap Mares drybags work fine.) If only occasionally diving and diving only in saltwater, I would seriously consider just renting regulators and bcds. Traveling, rinsing, etc., gets to be a pain. Obviously, owning your own stuff means you know it and you won't have to deal with the possibility of a gritty, wet breathing rental regulator (I had a really bad one once n the Caribbean -- but just once, and I finished the dives with it). If you know you're only diving warm water (above 75F) then one wetsuit should do it. You might want a hood or hooded vest for multiple dives, or days when the water gets in low 70sF. (Some people would wear a 5mm or even a 7mm for that -- depends on cold tolerance.) Personally, I don't like the hoods with bibs -- if you're going to do that, might as well get a hooded vest.

Just my thoughts, and from a comparatively newish diver. I own all my own stuff now, but usually diving fresh, cold water locally. When I get to dive in warm salty water once or twice a year, I rent the regs and bcd. (Most warm water charters will offer tanks and weights for rental and you don't want to travel with those.)

For vacation only divers, I always recommended:
1 Mask, snorkel fins
2 wrist mounted computer
3 hooded vest (makes up for too thin or too loose fitting rental suits or can be worn on their own in warm water. Hooded vests are an under appreciated jack of all trades)
4 if you are not a standard size - a wetsuit. Thickness depends entirely on where you go.

I'd add a dive light in the top three as well since you'll use it on every dive to look into nooks and crannies, but it isn't strictly necessary. They can be rented for night dives, but I don't ever remember renting them for day dives (worked for 8 different dive companies in 4 countries).

Regs and BC are only worth it if you start diving a lot, have money to spare and just want them, or more specifically if you NOT having them is keeping you from diving locally. All the operations I worked for did a pretty good job of gear maintenance. If you show up to a boat that has ratty rental dive gear, turn around. Guaranteed regs won't be the only thing they are skimping on. Learning the difference between well-used and poorly maintained might take some time though.

Weight and tanks and dead last/ useless for vacation only divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom